Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Support
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

What is the best anti-virus/firewall software.

Customer Question

Category: Software
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Neither of the two you mentioned are very good. What version of windows are you using? Are you trying to block something specific?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have Win 7 on my desktop and Win 8 on my laptop. Both of these computers have SSHD for booting. Nothing specific for blocking.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok you would want to use more than one thing. You would want both an antivirus as well as something that scans for spyware/malware. Fir the first I suggest windows security essentials which you can get here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

This is actually built into windows 8 you do not need a separate antivirus for that computer. You just need to make sure windows defender is enabled. It is the same as security essentials just renamed for windows 8. Then on both computers you will want to run the free version of malwarebytes from here once a week:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

It has a trial for the paid version but you only need the free one. Just make sure to do a scan once a week. These two combined will catch just about everything. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Antivirus.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Freddy's advice was very helpful. He didn't try to send me out to buy more software. You can have too much and too many virus etc software running on you computer. I was glad to know he favored malwarebytes because I have a license for that software. I am a happy customer.

James Muller

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You're welcome James and you can have to many installed if they are the same type. For example Norton and MSE I sent you would not work well together since they do the same thing. MSE and Malwarebytes are made for different threats so work well together. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Antivirus.
.