Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I used recuva and still could not find a deleted folder that

Customer Question

i used recuva and still could not find a deleted folder that was accedentally emptied from my desktop just 4 hours ago--im in windows 8
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
You ran a scan in recuva over the entire C drive to be sure?
And how did you remove it from the desktop?
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i deleted the folder sff3 from the desktop accidentaly then emptied the recycle bin without knowing it was there--I scanned the c drive and could not find the folder of subfolders of mp4 videos
there s plenty of space left on my hard drive so it is a
folder that likely has not yet been overwritten.
i am not adding any other files that the 2 recovery file programs that used little hard drive space.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, recuva would find it if it was still there but we will remove data corruption as a possible issue.
do the following please
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then run Recuva again and tell me if it finds it now
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

would the folder be viewable under recuva? no folders ever seen to appear under a scan.

ill try your suggestionss after my appointment.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, just the files in the folder which you would see David.
Sorry I did not catch this but did you actually check for the files in the folder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ill try your suggestionss after my appointment but i have windows 8.1 and when i hit start i dont see what you are asking me to find--there is no all programs option.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
For windows 8 you press the windows key + X and then choose Command Prompt (admin) please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Apparently the file is overwritten by the 3 programs i uploaded to recover it as i used the same hard drive--in any case i applied your ideas and still could not recovrer the folder of files. Thank you for trying to assist me.

Regards,

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome David.
If it was possible, this program would have recovered it.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen or smiley faces, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you