IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Chrome keeps popping up new tabs that say trabola.com

Customer Question

Category: Software
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Does it happen automatically every few minutes or whenever you start Chrome or open a new blank tab?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It happens randomly, sometimes when I am not using the computer, and sometimes when I am. I have run an anit-virus program.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK.
It seems there is one or more browser add-ons installed on your computer that can open various web pages and generate ads.
You can scan for such add-ons easily using a program called AdwCleaner - is free and can be downloaded on this link:
http://tinyurl.com/o7jft2e
To use it, exit all running programs, especially Google Chrome and then start AdwCleaner and click Scan. Wait until the scan has finished and then click Cleaning to remove all unwanted files. This program is safe to use because it only scans for programs and components included on its list so it won't remove any personal data or programs that you actually use.
Once that is done, it will require you to restart the computer, so do it. After the restart, all browser add-ons for Google Chrome and other web browsers should be gone, so check the results to see if the problem is gone.
Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I downloaded the AdwCleaner but it was downloaded to the VMWare Fusion PC side of my IMAC, instead of the OSx side. I ran it under the Fusion side, will that work for the MAC side?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
AdwCleaner is actually for Windows only, not for Mac.
I thought you were on a Windows computer.
Please hold on, I will write the instructions for Mac.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
You will need to manually clean up Google Chrome to remove unwanted browser add-ons and settings. Here is how to do it:
1. Start Google Chrome
2. Click on the Chrome customization button (button with 3 lines located in the upper right corner) and then click on "Settings"
3. When the Settings window opens, first check the "On startup option". If "Open a specific page or set of pages." has been selected, then click on "Set pages" and remove unwanted web pages, such as trabola.com
Click OK when done.
4. Next, under the Appearance, you can set your home page and activate the Home page button by checking the Show Home button. Set the desired Home page by clicking on Change
5. After that, click on the "Manage search engines..." button located in the Search section. There you can delete unknown and unwanted search engines by selecting them and pressing the Delete key on your keyboard or by clicking the X located at the end of the line. You can also make one of those search engines to be your default – select it and then click the Make default button that appears. To save changes, click Done
6. Finally, remove unwanted extensions. To do that, click on the "Extensions" section located on the left side. Locate the extensions you don't recognize or just don't need and either un-check their check-boxes to temporary disable them, or click on the trash icon to permanently delete them
7. Now exit and re-start Google Chrome, or you can restart your Mac computer to see the changes
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi again!
Have you followed the instructions yet? If so, what are the results?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi again!
I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.
If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my help to you using the rating box located in the upper right corner of the page (box with stars).
Thanks,