Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  CISCO certified computer and networking expert
30970729

Adobe acrobat wont save bates numbers

Customer Question

adobe acrobat wont save bates numbers
Category: Software
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
If you are familiar with using Bates and it won't work, check that the PDF document had not been locked to prevent editing, or try saving it as a different name.
Let me know if you would like remote support for this question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done both of those -- it's not locked and I've saved as different file and tried on a different computer and conbined with another file -- and tried bates stamping different file -- always same seems like working but then "0 files of 0 bates stamp successful"
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Are you trying to use Bates for the first time, or did it work ok on PDF files previously?
Is only the one file affected? Have you tried any older PDF files?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked on PDF files previously. It is not just the one file. Yes I have tried on older files, but it won't save on those either. I googled the issue found others that sought help for the same issue but no answers
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if the problem started suddenly without any apparent cause then I suspect some sort of corruption has occurred.
To help determine if this is the cause, try logging on as a different user on the same computer and try again to Bates some PDF files.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded the program to another computer and the same thing happened.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that is very strange..
Were the PDF files created by Adobe Acrobat, or a different PDF creator or PDF printer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were scanned into PDF.I saw the exact same issue on more than one blog
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
What OS are you using?
What scanner are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the scanner was TinyScan on IPhone, and Canon DR 2050C, and on both of which I have scanned and placed bates stamps on in the past. Nor has the operating system changed since Iast applied bates numbers. I don't know the operating system the computer an HP desktop about a year old. Is there any way to print the file onto another PDF and then retry? Is that what Acrobat Distiller does? Think that may work? Or maybe you can find a solution by Googleing it like I did -- as I said the problem is discussed at least twice but I couldn't find where solution discussed but maybe you can
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If it is a Windows operating system then it will receive regular updates and one of those updates could have resulted in the problem you are experiencing.
The only way to print the PDF onto another PDF is to go to File > Save As > PDF and save a copy of the original with a new name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saved as, again, but same result, "Bates number successfully added to 0 of 0 files." Does Acrobat have a trouble shoot or tech line or some sort of help line?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Are your files saved on a network? Could someone else be accessing the file when you are trying to save it?
Perhaps the files are saved on a memory stick rather than your usual hard drive, or there is something else that is different about the file's location and usage?
Adobe have an online support chat service available at:
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I went to Adobe forums but could not find problem, its Acrobat 8 professional. Would like online help but I couldn't fiquer out how to buy it. Do you know of any other possible fixes for the problem?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This does not appear to be a known Adobe problem, rather it seems to be a glitch that you are experiencing for some unknown reason.
Could you try with some older non-Bated PDF files, or new PDF files created from a different source?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is a known Acrobat problem -- I'm going to call tomorrow and try and get help -- afterwards I'll follow up with youI have another software issue -- in excel billing statement I need to move a column over -- I didn't make the file and the maker not know how to change position of column
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me know if you can attach the Excel file here for me to review, or if you would prefer remote assistance with it.