James Dwyer
James Dwyer, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  15 years professional technical experience. IT Consultancy Owner
22586229

I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything.

Customer Question

I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything. I make a copy of all the folders and files including the user files from the old hard drive before replacing it. I was and am still using Office 365 with Outlook 2013. I also used Windows Easy Transfer to take the documents and settings off the old hard drive and bring into the new hard drive. I now have Outlook 2013 back up and running, but it gave me a new outlook OST. I want to be able to open up the old PST file to bring in my history emails and contacts from it. I can open the old PST in Outlook 2013 and see the old emails, but the People file is blank. Are the contacts filed in a different subfolder that I can locateand either open or import? If so, what is the suffix for a contact file?
Category: Software
Expert:  James Dwyer replied 1 year ago.
ok from what I am seeing to open a outlook data file it is File>outlook data filenow this is on 2007, if you would like I can remote in and fix the problem on 2013My remote server once disconnected has no more connection to your computer, and iteven forgets your name (security is paramount for me)
You can import your old pst into the mailbox - this will take care of mail, appointments, and contacts etc, but not categories. After importing, use Upgrade to color categories option - this should add the categories to the new master list. Right click on the top level folder (where Outlook Today is) and choose Data File Properties from the menu. Upgrade to color categories is there. Note: this won't keep the same colors - they will be randomly assigned to the categories. If you need the colors, see the tools list on the Upgrade to color categories page.this Is based on 2013 and should solve your problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You missed the question. I imported the old pst file but the People (contacts) is blank. Is the old contact file in a separate file with a different suffix?

ok, there is a pst to ost converter, I'll get you a lead
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not want a converter. I want to find my old contact file.

my Exchange guy said that the PST possibly got damaged he provided this link
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/272227
to repair the pst from the PST and the Backup PST, give this a shot and we'll see where to go from there