ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.

My start up has way too many icons (programs?) on it. How

My start up has way too many icons (programs?) on it.
How to I get them off my screen?
I probably could just delete the icon but I assume having them on the screen slows start up
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer!

One thing I'll point out is that the icons do not really slow your system down. It takes so little processing power to display the icon that there is no advantage performance wise to removing them.

With that said, if you just want to get rid of them to have a cleaner, more organized interface then you can delete them by right-clicking on the icon and selecting delete.

But keep this in mind: If you are removing icons from your desktop, make sure the icon is a program icon, as this is only a shortcut. You can delete it and it doesn't affect the program itself. But if the icon is for a file (like a Word document, picture, video, etc) and you delete it then it will remove the file itself. So don't delete anything you don't really want to get rid of.

If you have any questions on this, just let me know and I'll help you out any way that I can. And please remember to rate the answer for me before you run.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.