RichieMe
RichieMe, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks

My AOL desktop 9.7 continuously starts up without my prompt.

Customer Question

My AOL desktop 9.7 continuously starts up without my prompt. If I leave my computer, for any reason, when I return, AOL has connected me to the internet.
Category: Software
Expert:  RichieMe replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me please which version of windows you are running?

Thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

XP

Expert:  RichieMe replied 8 months ago.
ok, can you disable auto dial please Susan

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

If you are using Category View, click Network and Internet Connections.

Click Network Connections, and then on the Advanced menu, click Dial-up Preferences.

Click the Autodial tab.

Click to clear the check boxes that are listed under Enable autodial by location.

Click to select the Always ask me before autodialing check box (if not already selected).

Click to select the Disable autodial while I am logged on check box.

Click OK, and then close the Network Connections dialog box.

It should then not auto dial onto the internet when AOL wants to connect.

Do this please and Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I don't have an option to click on dial-up preferences - or an autodial tab

Expert:  RichieMe replied 8 months ago.
Do you have a modem there Susan?

Meaning when you connect to the internet, is it just ON, or does it dial up a number, you hear some noises and then it connects?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It is on - actually never noticed.

Expert:  RichieMe replied 8 months ago.
Ok, then it is not dialing up, and all programs that use the internet such as AOL Desktop, are going to do this Susan.

It is the way the program works. AOL is not connecting to the internet, Windows does as it starts up, this is the case for all computers.

The only way you would stop this is to remove the network cable or turn off wireless on your computer, but I would not understand why you would want to do that.

Is there a specific reason you would?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

We've had the same modem for 5 yrs. - this has never happened. All things are the same, settings, etc. ????????????????????

Expert:  RichieMe replied 8 months ago.
AOL is not connecting you to the internet, the computer is already connected to the internet.

So maybe your not describing the problem clearly.

What exactly do you mean when you say

" AOL has connected me to the internet."

Because it is not connecting you to the internet, as you already are

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The AOL desktop is continuously popping up - even after I shut it down.

I'm sorry if I didn't explain it clearly. I can be working on a project, and

if I walk away - BOOM - I'm back on the AOL desktop.

Expert:  RichieMe replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Susan, that helps.

Click Start, Run, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.

Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click ok, restart and let me know if you still have the problem please.

RichieMe, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks