Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Having worked with computers for over 25 years, starting back with DOS programs, I've used most everything.
59162784

Hello, I have an HP PC running on Windows 7. My user profile

Hello, I have an HP PC running on Windows 7. My user profile appears to have gone haywire. I cannot access my file in Explorer, the desktop icons unique to my profile don't show on the desktop, etc. I have tried to restore prior checkpoint/restore points, but that hasn't resolved the issue. Is there a simple/straightforward "fix" to this?

I've run across this blog, but am reluctant to try to implement the fix:

http://www.jbccomputers.co.uk/blog/it/windows-7-lost-desktop-icons-user-files-documents-settings-corrupt-user-profile/

thanks. Paul
Category: Software
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

Bryan :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. Please do not rate this session until it has been completed.

Bryan :

I've read through the blog and it seems to be pretty safe. As long as you do the "export" of the registry before making any changes it can always be recovered.

Bryan :

As for another "fix", I'd give this a shot first because there is no really straightforward fix.

Bryan :

Let me know if you have any questions

Customer:

OK, thanks. I will give it a try and if I have any questions in the process, I will contact you. I will let you know whether it works or not. Thanks for your prompt reply. Paul

Bryan :

No problem at all. I look forward to your results.

Customer:

OK, when I tried that solution, I was able to see the user file referenced, but it was correct. I was unable to see/find the same file ending in bak. So, my problem appears to be different. In the meantime, it trying to see my files by checking the hidden file box in the properties box and trying to change the user authorities, I have managed to make it so that I don't even see the "public" identity. any suggestions?

Bryan :

Yeah. Let's use an all-in-one fixer to see if it's a permissions issue. Download and install this program: Windows Repair All In One

Bryan :

When you have it installed, I'd recommend running through all 5 steps. But if you are in a rush, you can do Step 4, then Step 5. When you get to Step 5, be sure to check ALL of the checkboxes. Let me know the results.

Customer:

Bryan, I ran the windows repair all in one program, first last night and again this AM. The first time, the problem was not resolved. The second time, I noticed in your last message "be sure to check ALL of the checkboxes" instruction. This time it worked and my PC is back to "normal." Is there anything that I should be doing to make sure that this doesn't happen in the future, or, if it does, to have a more straightforward fix? Paul

Bryan :

It's not very common so I wouldn't worry about it happening again. Just keep the AIO fixer handy if you run into a problem like that again and you'll be ready to clean it up. Glad to hear it got fixed! Take care. :)

Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Having worked with computers for over 25 years, starting back with DOS programs, I've used most everything.