Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Software not running correctly or installing? I can solve any issues software related within minutes, Simple, Fast, and Friendly
62669195

I changed screen resolution on Acer Travelmate 2434WLC. Now,

I changed screen resolution on Acer Travelmate 2434WLC. Now, after Acer startup screen & Windows XP screen show, nothing else appears on the screen. Can you help me fix please?
Category: Software
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on JustAnswer.com in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

That shouldn't affect the icons from appearing but let's try something

Turn the Acer off

Turn it back on and rapidly push F8 on the keyboard

Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode then push enter

(refer to this video to see the steps to boot into Safe Mode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQHctWAA_YU)

Once safe mode is up and running

Hold the Windows Key (looks like a flag on the keyboard) and push r

In the run box type in rstrui then push enter

This will open the System Restore. Use System restore to choose A date when the computer launched windows normally. Follow the prompts to complete the restore. Let's see what that does.

If that does not work. Turn the computer off and boot back into Safe Mode

This time Hold the Windows Key and press r

In the run box type devmgmt.msc then push enter

Double Click
on Display adapters

Right Click
each item under display adapters and choose uninstall

Press OK to complete the removal

Reboot when finished, this will force the Acer to re-install the video drivers.

If you run into any issues i'll be here to help you in any way I can Smile

If you have a moment don't forget to rate my help below (an excellent service rating is most appreciated) Laughing(To rate my help click the smiley faces below then press the submit button)

Also if you need any computer help in the future, you can return to this chat anytime day or night (I am online from 9am est until at least 11pm est every day of the week)

Thanks again for all you patience
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience: Software not running correctly or installing? I can solve any issues software related within minutes, Simple, Fast, and Friendly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi

I have another problem now - is it covered under the earlier arrangement?

Had a message on re-start of laptop: sisbase.dll needs to be re-installed.

Thanks

Eddie Lewis
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eddie can you try something for me?

First add our chat to your favorites.

Once you have our chat saved to your favorites

Hold the Windows Key (Looks like a flag on the keyboard) and press R

In the Runbox type msconfig and push enter

Click the Startup Tab

Press Disable ALL

Press Apply

Click on the Services Tab.

Check the box to "Hide Microsoft Items"

Click Disable All once again

Press Apply and OK

Reboot the computer.

After the computer has rebooted return to our chat.

Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It seems I may need to do this in Administrator mode? The previous User may not know the Admin password. Is there a way I can easily get around that at login as Admin?

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Is this on XP? If so it's a common glitch about the administrator but the it would have done it's job. Did you reboot yet to see if the message remains?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes XP.

I get "Access Denied" error message after pressing Apply every time I try, & pressing "OK" seems to have no effect.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Thats okay, it should still take affect, You rebooted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I rebooted. Tried the whole process a no. of times.

When re-booting, I get a Sys Config message telling me that it is not in Normal Startup mode & needs to be.

The Sys Config window that appears shows "Selective Startup" & when I "OK" that I get an Access Denied error & then a Sys Config message telling me to re-start. Re-starting just takes me through the whole loop again

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Try this for me

http://tinyurl.com/jeremysis

Click the link above. A download will begin. Choose Run on the file. When the zip opens click Extract All Files

Follow the steps to extract the contents of the zip

When finished click Finish

The folder should open automatically

When it does Double Click the SiS VGA driver 3.78.00 Folder

Double Click Setup.exe

Follow the prompts to install this update

Let me know what that does.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Running Setup.exe gave error: RUNDLL - Error loading SISInst.dll - The specified module could not be found

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Did you extract all the files out of the zip before opening setup? If so we may have to do this a different way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I extracted:

ReadMe.txt
setall.txt
setup.boot
setup.exe
Setup.ini
setup.inx
Setup.iss
Shortcut to: C:\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\AGPPack
Shortcut to: C:\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\Language
Shortcut to: C:\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\NT4
Shortcut to: C:\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\setupDLL
Shortcut to: C:\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\SETUPRES
Shortcut to: C:\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\utilDLL
Shortcut to: C:\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\UtilRes
Shortcut to: C:\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\Win98_ME
Shortcut to: C:\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\WinXP64
Shortcut to: C:\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\SiS VGA driver 3.78.00\WinXP_2K
3.78.00
data1.cab
data1.hdr
data2.cab
engine32.cab
layout.bin

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Did you try the setup again by chance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jeremy - Ran it again - tried a different path - got a successful instal of VGA Utils this time ( but it didn't Uninstall the version that was there already - that was the error message I kept getting - wouldn't uninstall.

I've re-started.

Got new error message re keyhook.exe - Entry Point not found - couldn't locate an item in dynamic link library SISApCom.dll

I'm closing the laptop down & will power it off & restart again.

Have to go out now for about 3 hours so will pick the issue up again later.

Thanks

Eddie

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Sure no problem! When you get back i should be on still. If not i'll be on first thing in the AM :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jeremy - Everything seems to have come right! Thanks - I'm happy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Yay! No problem! It should let you rate my help below using the smiley faces. If I can EVER help you again in the future please let me know

Register Here