Nimman
Nimman, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Many years experience. Diploma In Computer Engineering. CCNA , CCNP
50152118

when I come back to my computer, there are windows that have

Customer Question

when I come back to my computer, there are windows that have popped up saying video player needs updating or my computer is ready to crash due to low memory (I have PLENTY of memory) even though I closed my browser before quitting
....help!
Category: Software
Expert:  Nimman replied 12 months ago.

Customer:

Hello there, Thanks for using Justanswer.

Customer:

I amCustomerand I will be assisting you.

Customer:

Which video player is asking you to update ?

Customer:

Can you tell me exact message shown in pop up ?

Customer :

I have several different windows that pop up....."Flash Player needs updating"....today, it was that my computer was ready to crash and it showed a pie chart that I had almost no memory left, but when I check my computer, it shows that I have at least 3/4 of my memory left.

Customer :

I've also had Video player needs updating

Customer:

Open My Computer and check how much space is left in C: Drive .

Customer :

355 GB of 453 GB

Customer:

Have you tried updating flashplayer manually ?

Customer :

no....but what I don't understand is that these windows are either just there when I come back to my computer or they sometimes come up when I am on-line....even if what I am doing has nothing to do with what is popping up

Customer:

Try updating Flashplayer from the following link.

Customer:

CLICK HERE

Customer :

okay, I am doing it right now.

Customer:

Let me know if you get any error. If you get any error, Please tell me what exact error message you get.

Customer :

okay

Customer :

When I try to install, it tells me to close Firefox....if I do that I'll disconnect our chat

Customer:

Bookmark this page.

Customer:

Use the bookmark to come back.

Customer:

Do you know how to bookmark ?

Customer :

Okay....I'll come back after it installs

Customer:

Ok.

Customer :

Okay...it says that Flashplayer 11 is installed

Customer:

Then the update error you got before was faulty update tool .

Customer:

Do you get any other pop ups other than Flashplayer update ?

Customer :

Yes, I don't remember exactly....but I think they've said Video player and Media player

Customer:

Do you remember which media player was it ?

Customer:

Like VLC player or something ?

Customer :

No....but I usually use the Windows media player

Customer:

But Windows media player gets it update from Windows Update. Do don't have to update it .

Customer :

That's what I figure....I have my laptop set to automatic windows updates

Customer :

what can I do about a faulty update tool? I've been getting these messages alot over the last 2 to 4 weeks

Customer:

It is replaced by the newly downloaded flashplayer .

Customer:

You will not get that error message again.

Customer :

okay...but what about the other messages (not Flashplayer)?

Customer:

I need to know which player is asking you to update .

Customer :

I don't remember exactly....also, what about the computer crashing pop up that I came into today? That wasn't even true!

Customer:

Do you have PowerDVD or VLC or K-Lite or Media Player classic installed on your computer ?

Customer :

I don't think I have the first three....they do not look familiar. I have Windows Media Player, but I don't know if it's "classic".

Customer:

You have the bookmark . Let me know if you get any error message again.

Customer:

Let me know the exact pop up you get , So that I can help you.

Customer :

Should I rate you now or wait and see....if I am still getting the error messages, I don't want to have to pay again to talk with you.

Customer:

You don't have to pay again to talk with me.

Customer:

You can reply to this question even after you rate the answer.

Customer :

Okay.....no offense, but hopefully I won't be talking with you again....lol!!

Customer:

I will do a follow up after 3 days even if you haven't replied .

Customer:

I hope :)

Customer :

Okay...thank you!

Nimman, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: Many years experience. Diploma In Computer Engineering. CCNA , CCNP
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer

I came back to my laptop after being gone for 2 days and two windows had popped up:

Microsoft Certified Partner

Your PC's Performance is Poor

Fix Windows Errors immediately

Download Repair Tool

--and the second one said--

The page at

http://www.winflashplayer.com says

WARNING! Please update plug-in to continue

Like I said....I've been gone for 2 days, so I hadn't been trying to DO anything that needed to continue!! Why do I keep getting these pop up windows?

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Download and Install the malwarebyte antimalware . Do a full system scan. Remove if any infections are found.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Restart the computer. Reply if you get any pop ups after that.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay, I will do that. Thank you.

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Reply if you get this problem again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I did as you said and when I came back to my laptop tonight, no pop ups....I'll check it again in the morning. Hopefully, using the software you suggested will do the trick. I did a full system scan and it did find some malware, so I had it clean them out of my system. We'll see in the morning and then I'll get back to you.

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Actually that pop up was a Malware. Lets see if you get any popups now.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Came in this morning to another pop up (sigh).....

the tab at top says "control"

the message says:

LOW DISK SPACE

You are running very low on disk space.

To free space, you need to repair your Windows Errors.

(then it shows a pie chart and says how much space is used versus free for a total of ____GB. BTW, all of these numbers are incorrect, because I checked my C drive....they show 200+ GB total and my computer HD is over 400 GB).

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Do a Malware bytes scan again.

Click and hold Windows key then press R. This is will open Run command. Type %temp% and press enter. Delete all the files there.

Restart the computer. Let me know if you get any error after that.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay, I will do both of those things and let you know if I get another pop up....or if I haven't gotten any pop ups by tomorrow morning when I come in (seems like if nothing happens during the day, it happens overnight sometime).

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Reply after you get a pop up.

And Open My computer. Check if any of your drives is low on space.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I just have C drive and I have 353 free of 453.

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Are you using a HP computer?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No, it is a Toshiba Satellite A505 laptop

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Then try cleaning the Temp folder as I said before and Let me know if you get any error after that.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I did trying cleaning the temp folder, but there were 9 files it wouldn't clean. I know it said something about the file being opened somewhere else and so it couldn't delete them, so when I can close everything (after the malware scan is complete), I'll try to see if any of the remaining files can be deleted and then I'll reboot.

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Yes. You cannot delete some files. Leave that there. Restart and check if you get any error.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay, I'll let you know if I get any errors.

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Good luck :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Well.....I came in this morning to another pop-up (at least it's down to one each morning instead of 3 or 4. This is another cleanup pop-up. The tap at the top says "art" then it just shows a pie chart of used space and free space....again the numbers don't match my computer. and then a button that says "cleanup" for me to click on.

Any other ideas?

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Do you have any files on your recycle bin ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I do....I guess I should empty it, right?

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Yes, Empty it if its not important. Then tell me when does this problem started .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Not sure when it started....a month or two ago. Didn't use to happen, all of the sudden I started coming in to my laptop and there would be these windows popping up. For a while, if I got on the internet, I kept getting pop ups regarding updating things and such. That has stopped, now it seems to just be the one window each morning when I come in.

I will empty the recycle bin and let you know if I get anymore pop ups.

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Click Start> All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System restore. Restore to a date like 2 months before , where everything worked fine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I won't lose any data or software that I have installed since then, will I?

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
System Restore does not cause you to lose your personal files or password. Items like documents, e-mail messages, browsing history, and the last specified password XXXXX saved when you revert to an earlier state with System Restore.

If a program was installed after the restore point that you are restoring to was created, the program might be uninstalled as part of the restoration process. Data files that are created with the program are not lost. However, in order to open the files again, you must reinstall the associated program.

There is a chance of loosing the "Program" installed after that restore point but maybe not. But you will not loose any data. Hope you can Install that program after restore.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

okay....I'll try it.

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Let me know if you have any trouble .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When I pull up the system restore tool, it is only giving me restore points from within the last week. I checked the show me more restore points and the farthest back date is 9/17/2013....I don't think that is going to help me any.

I guess I'll see if emptying the recycle bin takes care of the problem. The only files in there were the ones I deleted from the temp file yesterday.

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I still had a pop up this morning!!

This one has "behaviour" in the top tab and talks about the Windows 7 Repair Tool. Is this a legitimate option or another spam deal trying to get you click on something so they can flood you with advertisements....or worse.

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
It is not legitimate.

Follow the link below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-7-repair

It shows how to remove it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I didn't click on it....was just wondering if it could be a legitimate fix. I figured it wasn't, but I'm grasping at straws trying to get rid of the pop ups!

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Yes it is not legitimate. Its a malware. Follow that steps to remove it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When I went to your link....part of the fix is to download RKill, but my anti-virus (Kaspersky) won't let me open the URL.

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Can you try this first ?

When starting your computer, repeatedly press the F8 key.
The Windows Advanced Options Menu (Windows XP) or the Advanced Boot Options menu (Windows Vista or Windows 7) will appear. Highlight Safe Mode and press the Enter key.
If you're prompted for Administrator credentials, enter your User Name and Password XXXXX click OK.
Double click the Microsoft SafetyScanner icon on your desktop. It may be labeled as msert.
Click the box next to Accept all terms of the preceding license agreement, then click Next.
Click Quick Scan, then click Next.
The Microsoft Safety Scanner will scan your computer. This may take a few minutes. Once the scan is complete, click View detailed results of the scan. You should see Trojan: Win32/FakeSysdef listed in the results. Remove it . Restart in normal mode.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Will do.

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I still had a pop up this morning.....yesterday, my computer froze up after I tried to do what you told me to do. I never saw the Microsoft SafetyScanner icon, so I wasn't able to complete what you said to do (then I had to leave, so that's why I didn't get back to you yesterday).

I'm happy that it's only one pop up each morning now (and hopefully I don't have freeze up problems now), but don't understand why I can't get rid of this last pop up.

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.
Can you try that removal method I said before .

Disable Kaspersky before downloading Rkill.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I wasn't able to complete the removal method above until yesterday....I did everything it told me to do. When I came in this morning, I still had one pop up asking me to update my version of media player.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I responded yesterday regarding this issue and this morning I receive an email that I had not responded, so here it is again.....

I wasn't able to complete the removal method above until yesterday (Monday)....I did everything it told me to do. When I came in this morning, I still had one pop up asking me to update my version of media player.

I also came in to a pop up this morning...

Expert:  Nimman replied 11 months ago.

Follow the link below.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/update-media-player-virus/

Let me know if it helps.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay, I did everything that the link you gave me said to do....today I have a pop up regarding updating my windows 7 drivers.

Something that I have noticed but haven't mentioned....in the lower right hand corner of my screen I occasionally get little pop ups about software not up-to-date. Today it says my old amazon cloud player software should be updated to version 1.1, but I know this is up to date through one of the steps I took (downloading and running Sercuria PSI). I haven't clicked on any of these lately, but I'm sure sometime in the past, I might have.