Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.

Were phoned by a technician and told that our computer showed

Customer Question

Were phoned by a technician and told that our computer showed warnings and our software was outdated, and that malwarebytes antimalware, now working for microsoft could rectify our computer software problems and assist us without us needing to call on a technician to correct any problems by remotely helping us from their 24/7 helpline.
They scanned our computer, and told us that we needed to have it updated.
Contact person;Carol Rodgers tel XXXXXXXXXX
the installed programme cost $260 for an 8 year backup.
The payment was made via PAYPAl
The merchant: Sajda Khutun.
Is this a scam, and is our computer at risk?
Category: Software
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry to let you know that this is a scam. No support company or Microsoft would ever call you for any computer support (you would call them first.) This is a scam in order to get your money. Microsoft has written an article about this kind of scam:

I suggest to click Start->All programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred. And also, please scan your computer with your antivirus/security program.

Also, I would file a dispute with PayPal to reverse the charge:

If you have any further question, please click on the Reply to Expert tab below and reply back to me, and I will help further. Thank you very much.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

must we delete the Malbytes antimalware; mbam-setup;ass-setup from our computer? whould this have caused them access to our programmes, so that they are able to hack into our files?

Malwarebytes anti-malware is a legitimate program; it's not for hacking; it's a security program, but I suggest to remove it anyway. If you want to use the Malwarebytes anti-malware program, you can download it straight from its company website: (download the free version only). But if you have your own antivirus/security program, then you don't need it.

Please let me know if you have any further question. Thank you