Kamil Anwar, Software Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

What kind of tracking companies put on their laptops? That

What kind of tracking companies put on their laptops? That is, if I am using a company computer thru public wifi can they know which websites I visited and what kind of activities I performed on th computer. Please give detailed all encompassing response so that I may erase my tracks.
Category: Software
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 3 years ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer – My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Kamil Anwar :

If you are connecting through a VPN or from the company's network, only then they can trace your activity.

Kamil Anwar :

If you are connecting through the public/private wifi then they may not be able to track you. It will still be better to remove cache and cookies.

Kamil Anwar :

You may download CCleaner to ensure there is no tracking/tracing cookie left even from the website you visit.

Kamil Anwar :

To download it, you can Click Here

Kamil Anwar :

You can also use public/internet vpns to encrypt your activity, which will encrypted.

Kamil Anwar :

In the end, it is always better to erase cookies/cache.

If they have put a key logger then they may be tracking your keystroke activity on the laptop but this is very unlikely and unethical.

Kindly read my response above. If you need any further information, please do ask me. Also, if you can take a minute to rate my response, that will be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So cookies and caches are the only wayd to track when I use non company vpns anf networks?

What about keyboard or screen tracking/recording? How to check if that is going on?

I do not believe that they would record your activity by putting a specialized software on your computer unless you are working on a top-secret project or something.

They may use key loggers to record key strokes on the system but this is very unlikely and unethical and this itself is a cost and a threat when using third-party software to monitor employees.

When you are connected to the company network, VPN or domain then yes, it is possible that they can monitor all activity.

When you are not connected to the company's network/VPN/domain, then you are not transmitting/receiving any data through them.

Tracking Cookies come into place when you visit websites, and those websites place a cookie on your system to track your activity.

However, all website do mention in their Privacy Policy that they will keep a record of your limited usage (not all activity) for statistical purpose.

Normally, if a key logger is placed on your system then you should be able to see it under the processes or through Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs etc, but like i said this is unethical and i hardly believe any company would use such a system.

Companies are normally concerned about their data, to protect that, they put their own data behind firewalls and secures employees by asking them to connect to VPN (where data gets encrypted) and that's for their protection.

When they offer a job, they put all the terms in the contract and if there are any concerns where you can be held liable, they they clarify it.

Hope this clarifies.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So how exactly to delete those cookies?
Which browser are you using ?

Internet Explorer / Chrome ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am using all three ie, chrome and FF.
Internet Explorer: Click Here

FireFox: Click Here

Chrome: Click Here

It might be better to use just one so you can easily manage it.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thanks
You can use this.

CCleaner Click Here

It will automatically delete everything from all browsers.