Ryan Ford
Ryan Ford, Computer Repairer
Experience:  I am a certified computer tech. I really enjoy helping with any issue.

How can I restore deleted internet history in Windows 8?

Category: Software
Expert:  sudipto_dutta replied 12 months ago.
Thank You!! for posting your Question.My name is XXXXX XXXXX today I will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

There are two ways to get back the history, one is the restore and other is using the

Index.dat is file, which is hidden on your computer that contain all of the Web sites that you have ever visited. Every URL and every Web page is listed there.

As you are unable to get back the history, using the windows restore function, then the only way to get back the history is to using the Index.Dat file, but to do that, you have to navigate through the registry and as I am helping you online, I can only give you the instructions and if you do something wrong in the registry, then Windows may get corrupt, so you have to do it at your own risk, do you need the instructions ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I have tried to look up the index.dat files, but cannot find them (this is Windows 8). I am willing to get into the registry, but I will need your instruction.

Also, is there a situation where internet history will delete automatically (without user input), as in a windows update?

Internet history, do not get deleted automatically, unless there is any settings, that you have checked to delete the history after a certain period of times.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

So, can you help me restore the deleted internet browsing history?

I can give you the instructions, you are the one, who have to try it out, if I give the instructions to open the registry, will that help or do I have to give you the full instructions to use the Index.dat file ?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I will need the full instructions. I am not a computer technician, so I will need full and detailed instructions on how to restore the internet browsing history.

Expert:  Ryan Ford replied 12 months ago.
Hi, I am Ryan and I can assist you with this.

The index.dat file that the previous technician was talking about is something from previous versions of Windows and does not apply to Windows 8. Give me a few minutes to put together the steps for you.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate your help. When I turned the computer on this morning, I noticed the little 'windows update' icon. Later in the day, the internet browsing history was gone- it appears windows update deleted it. Is that normal? At any rate, I do need that browsing history.

That isn't normal actually. That shouldn't happen normally as the 2 just aren't connected. Just a few more minutes, this is a rather complicated process.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Are you still there?

So here is how this works. I am going to give you a link to the blog that gave the information to me for how to do this so you can see it yourself.

There is a hidden folder called the appdata folder in Windows and it stores data for most programs that are run. If you have not changed the settings for Windows to show hidden files here is how to do it, and I should preface that I am basing this off a pre release version of Windows 8 so it is possible that your version is slightly different, let me know if things are different than I am describing. I will also use folder paths in the form of C:\Windows\System32. If you are not familiar with what that means, A short explanation is that the first part, c:\, designates the C drive. The Windows\ part means the Windows folder on the root of the C drive. The System32 means the System32 folder inside the Windows folder. So you just follow the path structure from left to right from the root of the drive through the folders to the end. It will always be in context so if you understand that part, the rest around it I will always be explaining for you.

Now the steps... First you need to download a little program that will be able to read the file you are going to be needing access to. It is called EseDbViewer and is available here at the bottom of the page under download (just click the number). It is an installer so go ahead and run it and follow through the installation steps. It is a standard Windows program installation process and nothing in particular you need to watch for.

Next, go to the Desktop and open a file/folder viewer window (or Windows Explorer from the Start screen). Go to the View tab at the top and then click on Options. In the Folder Options box click on the View tab and then in the Advanced settings box about the 6th option should be Hidden files and folders with a couple options under it. Check "Show hidden files, folders, or drives" and click apply and ok.

Now open EseDBViewer and click on the open icon and and then click the ... button to the right of the "ESE file" input box. This will bring up a file browser window to select the file you want to open. Go to the following folder location: C:\Users\\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\webcache. If the folder does not exist or you cannot find it, let me know.

This is the first set of steps. I am posting these so you can see them and follow them and ask any questions while I continue with the rest of the steps.

If you started reading before I had added the links I just wanted to point out that I added the links. The site here sometimes doesn't let me add links until I have already posted the answer and then I can go back and modify the post with the links. Just wanted to point this out in case you saw the post from me before I modified it.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I have enabled the view of hidden files, and have downloaded the ESB program. However, I cannot locate the file you directed me to open (C:\Users\\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\webcache).

Under C:\Users I do not have an appdata folder. I have three folders: Default, Public, and Robert.

Under C:\Users\default\AppData\local\Microsoft\windows I do not see any file or folder labeled webache.

Under C:\Users\Public, I have no folder labeled AppData. Under C:\Users\Robert\local\Microsoft\windows I DO have a file labeled 'caches' but not a file labeled 'webcache', and a search through the tile menu of win8 returned zero results for 'webcache.'

OK, browse to the \Robert\local\Microsoft\Windows folder in the regular windows explorer browser and in the upper right corner of windows explorer is a search box. Search from that folder for: webcachev24.dat

Let me know if it finds it. That is how I had to find it on my computer and I cannot open it yet. I am working on figuring out how to at the moment.
Ryan Ford, Computer Repairer
Experience: I am a certified computer tech. I really enjoy helping with any issue.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

hmm... I looked in that folder, and did not locate it. I did a search on the C drive for the webcache24.dat file and did not locate it on the C drive. Any ideas?

Maybe, first though I am a little curious, what are you needing the history for?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I am trying to save my marriage.

OK, give me just another minute, I am still figuring out how exactly to open this file. Once I have it figured out so that I can look at it myself I will let you know and continue helping you get it opened up.
OK, got it opened now and I can read its data. So lets find your file that you need.

I noticed just now that you put that you searched for webcache24.dat, is that actually what you searched for? verbatim? The reason I ask is that what you need to search for is webcachev24.dat. you missed the v when you put that into our chat. Just want to make sure you typed it correctly.