Dan, Network Administrator
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.

-I just typed the long question--now--it is asking

Customer Question

I just typed the long question--now--it is asking me to type it again---yucky--OK--#1--You helped once before. #2--When the computer starts, a black-n-white screen flashes on and off for about 2 seconds and then disappears after I open my programs. I tried to simply go to safe mode to open, but it did not help.. I pressed F2 several times and then just opened safe mode. I'm sure I needed to do something---like select something---before going to safe mode as I did nothing and nothing happens to cure the problem of the blinking black-n-white screen at the very beginning of the computer opening up. Not very serious----your thoughts.

Category: Software
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lindie, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

I noticed you requested the professional Ryan. I did want to touch base with you as Ryan hasn't been on the site answering questions for a few months now.

Would you like me to find another professional to help with your question?

Thank you

Lindie~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No Problem---thanks Lindie

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Lindie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

anyone there?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, I would be happy to help you today. First can you tell me what version of Windows you are using, and have you recently installed any new software?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows 7

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did lots of installments recently due to a problem with SKYPE---most were downloads relating to my webcamera

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
So is this just a small window that opens then closes? What version of Windows please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes--a window that opens so fast and closes so fast that I have trouble reading the words on it. The window is a black background and white "colored" wording

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you available now?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I am here
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
This sounds like a batch or script file running from the Startup folder. Click your start button, then All Programs and scroll down until you find the Startup folder. Open that and let me know what is listed there if you would please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ONLY 4 PROGRAMS

2 PROGRAMS IN ADOBE,

1 IN BLUETOOTH, DROPBOX,

AND ONE -----NOTE 2007 SCREEN CLIPPER AND LAUNCHER

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Try dragging all of them out to your desktop then restart your computer and see if you still see anything running like before, then let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i JUST DRAGGED ADOBE ACROBAT TO THE DESKTOP. IT CAUSES AN ICON TO APPEAR WITH A SMALL ARROW IN THE LEFT CORNER OF THE ICON.

IS THIS CORRECT? SHOULD I DO THIS WITH THE OTHERS NOW?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Try right clicking on each item in the Startup folder and do a copy then paste it to the desktop. Make sure there is nothing left in the Startup folder before you restart the computer.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I will need to be offline for a few minutes. Just let me know how you come out and I will answer you as soon as I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did what you asked---but the problem is still there!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you available now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

First you said to drag and drop the start up programs and now you say---copy and paste---are the results the same?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Copy and paste will make sure you are actually copying the program from the Startup folder to the desktop for safe keeping rather than making a shortcut to it as indicated by the little arrow in the icon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You said copy and paste--I did that---Now the folder is empty! Now I closed the computer 2 times, but still no results. And how do u get my start up programs back?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You can also try searching your main hard drive (C) for files that end with .bat and .wsf. These are the most common types of script or batch files that automatically run when Windows starts. If you completely removed all of the programs from the Startup folder, then the problem most likely is coming from one of the recent programs you installed.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Just copy the Startup programs from the desktop back to the Startup folder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You originally said---drag and drop--

"Try dragging all of them out to your desktop then restart your computer and see if you still see anything running like before, then let me know."

I did what you said --now I no longer have any start-up programs. Do I need them? How do I get them back?

My original problem is still there!

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Most likely not. I rarely have anything in my Startup folder as it only tends to slow down the boot process. I normally watch the installation of any new programs very carefully since most will want to install something into the Startup folder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My original problem still exists---nothing changed! No results!

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Try pressing the pause key right at the time the window opens to see if that will stop it long enough for you to read what is executing. Otherwise you will need to either search for the file extensions I listed above, or uninstall the programs one by one you just recently installed until you find the one that installed the script.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I will be going off line for the evening. I will be back tomorrow around 7 P.M. central so please get in touch with me then to let me know how you came out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed all 4 programs from the Startup---the folder is empty.
The screen still comes on for a couple of seconds.
Any better thoughts?
Marty

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Try this. Click the start button and type msconfig.exe in the search box. You should see msconfig.exe appear at the top of list. Click that to run the program. When the program starts, you should see several tabs one of which will be Startup. Click that to make it active then scroll through the list to see what you recognize and what you don't. You can make a written list if you like and send it to me to review or play with the item yourself by unchecking the box next to it then restart to see if you still see the run dialog when Windows starts. Let me know how you come out.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I just thought I would check in to see if you were able to resolve your issue. Please let me know if still need my assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK--I figured out how to pause the screen to see the blinking black-n-white screen. I just kep pressing the END button. I figured this out with anyones help!

Now, let's try to determine how to solve my original question! Originally, I wrote:

Now--I found out that this blinking screen is called WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER--It is asking me to choose an operating system to start or press tab to select a tool----I do not understand these words

It says in the middle of the page which is all black with the wording in white---to use advanced option---press F8----blah, blah, blah----

I do not think this screen should be there for me to see unless I need to do something to get rid of it!

This is what I have been trying to tell you---any ideas?

Marty

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That helps a lot! Did you by chance upgrade to Windows 7 from a previous version of Windows? Normally when you see the Windows Boot Manager, there is some bit of data left over from a previous version of Windows, so the computer thinks you have more than one version of Windows you can actually run. Let me know for sure and I can tell you how to get rid of the boot manager.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am working in China. Ihad a problem with my SKYPE camera and the computer indicated I was missing some drivers for the camera. I downloaded SKYPE several times trying to make my camera work, but this did not happen. I did not have a copy of Windows 7 to download.

I ran many programs to clean the computer and upgrade it---like Hard Disc tune-up, Mem Turbo-PC Optimizer,Advanced system optimizer, smart PC care, etc.

I believe that one needs to click onto some area in the Boot Manager screen and it will fix itself as it seems as you say to think there is more than one Windows 7 version.

What do I click?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, click your start button and type msconfig and press enter. When the window opens, click the boot tab and let me know what is listed there please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried to send you a picture, but it was denied

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.justanswer.com/software/7uz99-i-just-typed-long-question-now-it-asking.html" on this server.

Reference #18.3c63fea5.1373506405.3fea222

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me a general idea of what is listed in the Boot tab or is there a bunch in there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows 7 ( C:\Windows) : CurrentOS: Default OS

This line is highlighted in a blue color

The only other thing is the next line---which says--

Advanced Tech Support Recovery (Windows)

also it has a place saying time out and it shows 1 second

in a box

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Try this. Click Start, Click Control Panel, Click System then Click Advanced System Settings (On left pane), then click on Advanced tab

Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings and uncheck "Time to display list of Operating systems" then click on Apply and Ok.

Restart and see if the boot manager pops up again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan

I did what you said but the Windows Boot manager screen still flashes on and off. No luck yet! However, I was excited and thought that after I took out the 1 sec pause, that it would go away---unfortunately---it is still there!

I went back through your steps, and I did the steps

correctly that you asked me to do.

Incidentally,

I did notice that there was a tab called System Protection,

and I noticed that

RECOVERY was turned OFF

DATAPART1(D) was turned OFF

and

OS(CJ (System) was turned ON

Is this correct? Or should these other items

that are turned OFF, be also turned ON?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If you would please, go to accessories, then command prompt and right click on it, select Run as Administrator and click Yes when it asks if you really want to do this. At the command prompt, type BCDEDIT. This will display everything entered and in the data store where Windows 7 gets the boot instructions from. If there are multiple entries under the heading of Windows Boot Loader, chances are one of these is what is causing the problem. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan--your instructions did not work for me---you said

If you would please, go to accessories, ( I did this) then command prompt and right click on it, ( I did this ), select Run as Administrator

Whoops---no such words were seen when I right click!

and click Yes

when it asks if you really want to do this. At the command prompt,

type BCDEDIT. This will display everything entered and in the data

store where Windows 7 gets the boot instructions from.

If there are multiple entries under the heading of Windows Boot Loader,

chances are one of these is what is causing the problem.

Let me know what you find.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me –

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went to Accessories, then command prompt---I right clicked---but no place to select "RUN"!

I am stuck on your instructions! Sorry

Marty

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Click start then type cmd on the search line. Cmd.exe should appear at the very top of the window. Right click on that and select run as administrator then please follow my previous instructions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DAN
THIS INFORMATION BELOW IS WHAT I SEE!
Access Denied

Reference #18.3c63fea5.1373940709.283cb39

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Waitinf for your reply to the message below--Marty--if i could get an email address that will accept my pictures, I could more clearly show all to you---but -------

DAN
THIS INFORMATION BELOW IS WHAT I SEE!
Access Denied

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
So are you having a problem accessing the Justanswer web site? Also, please let me know what your time zone is so we can possibly respond a little quicker. Let me know if you are having problems or if I have just misunderstood your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not having problems seeing the website, but placing pictures within the body of the messages did not work!

I am still seeing the "Boot" screen flash on for a second when I turn on the computer---it won't go away! No change since we began!