Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Support
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

How do I stop msn taking over my google default. I turn the

How do I stop msn taking over my google default. I turn the computer off each night and when I restart msn has taken over yet again !
Graham
Category: Software
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Do you mean the home page is switching to msn?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I click on to Google to go onto the internet my home page has been going to Google for many years but about a month ago msn would come up as my home page when I turn the computer on in the morning as I have been doing for many years. I then go down to Google saved in my Favourites and when Google come up it has an option to make Google my main home page and another little drop down has an option to click to make it stay that way and I click that but the next morning when I go on to the internet again there is msn once again.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok I will walk you through changing everything back to Google as the default.
I assume you are using the newest version of internet explorer if you are unsure about any of these steps reply and let me know.

First the home page click on the cog icon on the top right corner.
Then click on internet options.

Under home page delete everything that is listed there.
Then type in http://www.google.com into that space.

Under startup make sure homepage is selected.
Then click on apply and ok.

Next we will change the search back to Google instead of msn/bing.
Click on the cog icon again and this time click on manage add ons.

On the left click on search providers.
Then click on Google so it is highlighted.

At the bottom of that window with Google highlighted click on set as default.
Then put a check in the box that says search in the address bar.

Now close the window and restart internet explorer to test the changes.
You can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and click on my questions at the top of the page.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.

If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have no cog icon but went to TOOLS to bring up INTERNET OPTIONS

(I have actually been down this pathway already) but when I continue on down your suggestion the moment I highlight Google but SET AS DEFAULT is no longer highlighted and I am unable to click DEFAULT and can't move on from here.

Graham

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
If default is greyed it is already set as the default so skip to the next part.
Make sure the search in the address bar box is checked.

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, I have done everything apart from checking google in the address bar because I am not sure what I am looking for to check (tick) it ?

I typed in www google etc but can't see what I can actually check it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
When you are in the search provider list where set to default is greyed out look at the left side.
The check box will be on the left side of the area the set to default button is.

graphic

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is no wonder that I can't get this completed as there is only the one box on the bottom left of that section and it is the top one - there is no second box to check !

Graham

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Did you click on Google to make sure it is highlighted?
Can you re-open the window but without highlighting Google and see if it shows up?
The top one is more important to have checked as that stops programs from changing your search provider but it is best to do both if you can.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have clicked on Google and I have already tried entering that area without clicking Google but it isn't possible so I feel I am on a merry go round here.

I had the top box checked all along and it certainly doesn't prevent msn over riding my Google default. As I said at the start I have been on the internet and many people are having this msn over ride problem with both Google and Firefox and some have tried about four different ways of various suggestions and all to no avail. I feel that msn has somehow planted something to over ride whatever obstructions and put in their place. It was my last search that led me to click on to your site.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok what is listed under add ons do you have any toolbars installed?
In control panel under add/remove programs do you have any toolbars listed?
Do you use any windows live services like windows live messenger?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Under add ons I have the following:

Google #1

AVG secure search #2

Live search #3 ( I think it is the Windows flag to the left)

Search results #4

Yahoo!Xtra #5

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please remove everything there except Google.
Then repeat the original steps and see if Google sticks.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For whatever reason I couldn't remove AVG so I now have Google #1 and AVG #2 and it didn't make a scrap of difference in that msn still comes up after rebooting and going on to the internet ! Damned frustrating.

I will get ready for bed (11.10pm) and come back and see your response and that's it sorry. If you are still on deck when I turn the computer back on about 7am tomorrow (NZ time) I will click on to your rating so that you don't miss out and if you are not there we will have to continue when ever you return. Unless your suggestion cures the problem of course in which case I will fill in the rating.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
The avg toolbar may need to be uninstalled from the control panel using add/remove programs.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I remove AVG from add/remove I will be deleting my AVG antivirus program completely which I don't particularly want to do thank you.

The only toolbar in the add/remove list that I can see listed as a toolbar is Google Toolbar for internet explorer. There is certainly no msn listed anywhere there at all (not that you have suggested that) just mentioning it for what is worth.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Not avg look for avg toolbar they should be listed separately.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Freddy

Sorry but I have to go to bed I have a sick wife and I need some sleep otherwise I am not going to be able to care for her properly

Graham

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Take all the time you need Graham if I am offline when you reply I will reply as soon as I can.
This tool can be used to remove it as well: Click Here
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I downloaded the avg_toolbar_remover.exe and carried out that function, went back over all the steps you first gave me and all to no avail in that msn just keeps right on taking over google default !

Incidentally AVG toolbar is not in the add/remove list. I have a friend who is pretty computer savy and he had already suggested this but seeing it wasn't in the list I couldn't remove it.

I did use the search portion when you click on START and found the toolbar that way but I couldn't remove it from there but did when I went online to AVG's toolbar remover. I just went back into the search part and AVG toolbar is now showing as being in the recycle bin. I assume that I can reinstate it by click on 'refresh' and it will come back out of the recycle bin ?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Restore would bring it back but it is technically adware so I would not recommend it.
Next let's try a complete reset of internet explorer.

Click on tools and then on internet options.
Click on the advanced tab and then on reset.

When it asks you let it reset everything.
You may need to re-enter saved passwords afterwards, then try the original steps one last time.

.
Freddy M., Computer Support
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to have to report that it didn't make a scrap of difference.

One thing I did notice when I went to Programs (to the left of Advanced) that Internet Explorer was not my default so I changed it to be the default.

I have been back to the original settings under Tools and Internet options and msn is right there. I have deleted that and put in the http://google.com apply etc. I have done the reset, make IE the default under Programs, rebooted about three times after each change and back comes msn !

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Unfortunately I am out of ideas so I will opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Can we do a screen sharing session, so I can check and fix this issue directly for you?

Please let me know. Thank you