Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience. Expert in installing and problem fixing of softwares.
50064670

All of a sudden I got a warning that my computer could be attacked

Customer Question

All of a sudden I got a warning that my computer could be attacked and information taken.

Then I got the following message

Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer

Program name: Smartbar.Resources.ProductsRemovalTool
Verified publisher: ReSoft.LTD
File origin: Hard drive on this computer
Program location: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Smartbar\"installationID = 0f8fc048-7fa7-4de6-b649-2d Search; Bj=7" - - engage

The whole screen was frozen although I could move the cursor around and I could also click on 'Show information about this publisher's certificate.

I didn't click on anything.

Then a very strange thing happened. I left the room for five minutes and came back.

All of the above prompts had dissapeared.

My Webbrowser now showed

Thank you for downloading Quickshare (from thankyoupage.com/quickShare/quickShare-thank-you.html

And there was now a Search shortcut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" http://feed.snap.do/?publisher=SnapdoOpenCandy&dpid=SnapdoOpenCandy&co=AU&userid=0f8fc048-7fa7-4de6-b649-2d5849b4100a&searchtype=sc&installDate=01/01/1970

on the desktop, which had appeared out of nowhere.

A few days back I ran a full virus scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

I have Windows 7 professional

I have AVG professional which is up to date.

Something very strange has just happened to my computer. Do I have some sort of virus?

What do I need to do to resolve the problem?

Thank you.

Paul from Australia
Category: Software
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Thanks a lot for posting your Query here. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

It sounds like the issue is the result of an Adware, malware or spyware. Please do the following.

Restart your computer. Press and release the F8 key continuously when system starts. You will get an advanced boot menu. Select Safe mode and press Enter. Wait a little to complete the boot process.

1. Log on to the computer.
  2. Click Start , type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration utility.

If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

3. On the General tab, click to select the option Selective startup, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services.
  5. Click OK, and then click Restart.
  6. I hope now you can enter to your system successfully.

Now please perform a spyware scan on your computer.

1. Run theMicrosoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

2. Download ATF Cleaner by Microsoft MVP Atribune from http://www.atribune.org/

- Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.

- Click Select All found at the bottom of the list.

- Click the Empty Selected button.

- Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

- Shutdown/restart the computer.

3. Next, download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Free for personal use) to your desktop.

- Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.

- At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

- If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

- Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.

- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

- Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

Then Open control panel and then change/uninstall program. Remove every unwanted programs from there(especially the unwanted toolbars).

Reply me the result.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jins.

Many thanks for your thorough instructions.

It is now 1.05 am in Australia!

I must go to bed soon.

I will follow your instructions tomorrow and of course keep this question open until we have resolved the problem.

Best wishes and I will be back in about 7 hours.

Paul.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul, Its okay. Take your own time and reply me the result after performing my solution.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi Jins.

I clicked on shutdown and then got the microsoft message that 14 updates were being installed.

Would that be correct. I couldn't turn the computer off but let the updates update.

Does this mean there are more problems on my computer?

Do I have to do anything differently.

Thank you.

(I am asking this question from my very old computer Smile

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jins

UPDATE

I have decided to at least start following some of your instructions.

I have restarted and clicked F8

I now have the choice

Please select boot device

HDD P0-ST

HDD P1 WDC

HDD P2: ST

I have two hard drives.

Which one do I select as boot device?

Thank you.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul, usually the OS is on first drive. So select HDD P1 and press Enter. Tap F8 key immediately after pressing Enter. Sometimes you may get an OS selection window. If so select the operating system name and press Enter. Hit F8 immediately and you will get the advanced boot menu.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi jins
Thank you

I will follow your instructions tomorrow

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Its okay Paul. Take your own time and let me know the result.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jins.

STEP 1

I ran Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal.

It took 11 hours to check the Hard drives!

No problems were found.

Should it take that long? I have two hard drives, each 4 terabytes.

STEP 2

I have now gone to www.atribune.org to get AFT Cleaner

BUT it only works for Windows XP or Windows 2000 :(

I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Right now I want to do the next scan.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Paul.

Ps. My computer is running in Safe mode with selective startup up set as per your request earlier on.

Hope to hear from you very soon.

UPDATE

Hello Jins.

Yesterday I was up intil 1.30 am to get started on the virus checking!

It is now 10.17 pm. I don't want to have a late night tonight. I would like to start on the next virus/malware testing as soon as possible, so that I can set the scanning running and then go to bed.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Paul.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jins.

i am not quite sure how justanswer works with reponses etc.

I have now done the first test without any errors being found.

I want to go to bed in about 15 minutes, but want to start with another test as soon as possible so that the virus/malware checker can run overnight.

Please respond soon.

thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jins.

Unfortunately I have to go to bed.

Incidentally a few days ago I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free edition and did not get any files found with problems.

Naturally I am frustrated as the computer at the moment is funning in safe mode.

Please respond in detail so that in the morning (in about 8 hours), I can take the next steps to resolve this problem.

Thank you.

Paul.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jins.

I am very dissapointed that you did not reply last night because that would have given me about 8 hours for the virus/malaware software to run. When I was funning the Microsoft malicious software, I couldn't run anything else because the computer response was so slow.

Jins, it seems that you are not aware of what the next step is.. That is okay. It may simply mean that this problem is to complex for you, and that is okay also.

I would like to you open this question up for someone else to assist with.

Thank you.

Paul.

Please open up the questions as soon as you can.

Expert:  lexx3218 replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Charles if you would like I can do a remote session and have a look at this problem from here and see what needs to be done possibly even fixing the problem would that be a better option for you?
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul, sorry for the delay in reply. Actually I was not online yesterday to read your message and reply back. Here was some power outage and the internet connection also failed due to bad weather.

You can boot in to safe mode and it is a good sign. Now you need to restore your system back to a previous date on which everything worked perfectly.

Start System Restore by clicking on Start button or pressing Ctrl+Esc on your keyboard, typing "system restore" into Start menu Search box and clicking System Restore.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

If you have no restore points available, you are out of luck with System Restore. If you do have something to restore, you will be reminded that System Restore will not affect your documents, e-mails or other personal data - just programs and their settings will be restored. Click Next.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

In case you have recently created a restore point yourself, you will see only the manually created one, not all available restore points. In that case, check the Show more restore points box.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Select the restore point you need, click Next. System Restore warns that restoring cannot be undone if you are using it in Safe Mode. Click Yes to start restoring.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

You might be logged off and a message "Windows is shutting down" might be displayed. Do not worry, System Restore just needs to unlock files and settings before it can run.

Restoration process takes time - ten to thirty or more minutes is absolutely normal.
First, System Restore initializes and restores Windows files and settings (no, your documents are not affected!), then it will clear temporary files.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

After System Restore is complete, your computer will restart. If Windows 7 starts normally, then the restoration probably solved your problem.

Log on as usual and you will hopefully see a System Restore success dialog. Click Close.

Now check your system and reply me the result.

Regards

Jins