Juliene McKesson
Juliene McKesson, IT Consultant
Experience:  M.S. in Information Security & Assurance

I have been using Schedule Plus from a Windows 95 program.

I have been using Schedule Plus from a Windows 95 program. I have kept moving it forward through XP. My XP machine went kaput, and now I have Windows 7 as the operating system. I did a back-up of all the data, and the program. But this time the program will not permit any entries into the app. What do I need to do to be able to continue to use Schedule Plus in the Windows 7 environment?
Microsoft Schedule Plus (or Microsoft Schedule+) was a time management software product developed by Microsoft, but was discontinued as part of Microsoft Office when most of its functionality was incorporated into Outlook 97. It was originally intended as a companion to Microsoft Mail, but later it was a companion to Microsoft Exchange and was part of Microsoft Office 95, and later Microsoft Exchange Client and Windows Messaging, so it was later included and developed as part of Microsoft Exchange Server, which resulted in version 7.5 of Schedule+ as part of Exchange Server 5.0. The "Outlook Calendar" that was part of Outlook for Windows 3.1 and Macintosh versions before 9.0 was actually a new version of Schedule+. In spite of being discontinued, the software, however, is still included with all versions of Microsoft Office up to Microsoft Office 2003, although it is just to support conversion from Schedule+ 1.x. It is not available in Office 2007, although it was present in early test builds.
However there is one thing you can do. You can install windows XP on the new machine if you prefer that. Sadly accourding to microsoft and reasearch I did, I also contacted them via phone it is not compatible with windows 7 or windows 8 due to the infrastructure now. There is a way to run it but you would need to purchase a windows XP disk and you could run windows XP on the new machine. The other way would be upgrading from windows 7 home premium to windows 7 professional and using the virtual machine to run the windows XP with windows 7 but that would be the only way to do what you are wanting to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My computer has XP mode on it and the windows 7 is the professional version. What is your reference to a "virtual machine"?

Hello and welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you to the best of my ability. Just as the first professional said, there are several ways to work around this issue. You can go to the link below and download Windows Virtual PC. This way you can then install your program into a virtual machine on your main Windows 7 PC. Once you download and install the program, you can then create a virtual PC environment. Please see these videos and this tutorial for beginners. It will tell you everything you need to know. This is not a guarantee that your program will still work, however, if you've use the program on a Windows XP machine as you've stated before, it should be fine. Of course, you're always welcome to come back for assistance, should you need it. Thanks, Juliene

Virtual PC:

Make sure you use the drop down box to choose your operating system. If you're not sure, go to "Start", then "Computer", right click "Computer" and look under "System Type".

Beginner's Tutorial:

These are just free items that I choose to add for my customers.

Bonus: For sales on steam games for Halloween.

Windows 8 ebook pocket edition:

Please Note: Don't forget the deposit you have placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service as a professional! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my courtesy and service, and not this website itself or your device/problem. If you leave without rating, this website will keep your deposit effectively leaving out the professional.

Juliene McKesson, IT Consultant
Experience: M.S. in Information Security & Assurance
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay. Let me see if I already have the "virtual" capability because I noticed something when I was searching around after the response from the other technician. I will watch the tutorial and the video and then try copying the program from the program files to whatever new folder is suggested.

One immediate question is will the computer run in some virtual environment for everything or just Schedule Plus?

Hello, no, it will not run in a virtual mode all the time. Only for those programs you wish to run. There are some individuals/companies that may use virtual machines all the time, and it will be fine if that's what you wish to do, however, most of the time, it's just to run the occasional program for home users. The virtual machine will have to be turned on and shut down by you, so that's the only time it will run. Thanks, Juliene

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not a home user. This is a business machine. I get the sense that when I attempt to open Schedule Plus, it will open in the virtual machine mode. Then when I close Schedule Plus, I will automatically be in the Windows 7 environment. Is this an accurate characterization?

No, it's not. What it does when you install the virtual machine, is place a 'file' on your computer, that works in the Windows Virtual PC program. This program had been coded to run just like another computer. You can think of it as a mini computer within a computer. The only way you will be able to run the Schedule Plus program, is to use it within the Virtual machine. The Virtual machine will not be on until you turn it on, and it will not be off until you use the "shut down" button in the program. Let me see if I can make a few screen shots and upload them from my computer. If you will, please give me a few minutes to do so. Thanks, Juliene
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay. Sounds like there are several steps involved in accessing and then switching back to Windows 7. It also sounds like Schedule Plus is not going to be easily accessible throughout the day in the same efficient way as before. Any way to have the computer just stay in XP mode? I'm confused about why there is an XP mode in a Windows 7 environment--thought it just operated in the background, so to speak so that any program that worked in the XP environment would automatically work on Windows 7.

Hello, yes, there's several steps, please download this MS Word file that I made to show you the machine on my computer. You can do that here. is where you start up the virtual PC from your real computer.docx

It won't be accessible like before, so you may consider upgrading to another program. The only way to have the computer stay in XP mode would be to stay logged into the Virtual machine all day, but you won't be able to use other programs that might be installed on your Windows 7 machine without installing those programs again to the virtual machine.

Here's how Windows XP mode works. You can read about that here, but it's probably because the program is in its legacy form or discontinued. Have you tried running/installing your Schedule Plus program in XP mode of the program when you install it?

If not, what you will do is right click the icon for the .exe installer of the program, go to "properties", and under properties, go to the "Compatibility" tab and check the boxes, "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" then in the dropdown box choose "Window XP (Service Pack3)". Under "Settings" choose "Disable visual themes" and under "Privilege Level" choose "Run this program as an administrator". Click "Apply" and "OK". Then double click to try and install the program.

Here's a small explanation of Windows XP mode.

There are some other programs out there but I'm not sure how effective they may be. I'll link them anyway so you can look them over.

Appointment Plus:

Schedule Anywhere:

Open Office:

Open Office I have tried and it works just like Microsoft Office Suite.

Thanks, Juliene

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You truly are tenacious. I will try opening the exe. file after first making the capatability changes and the other couple of settings that you recommended. I believe that I made the capatability changes after installing the program.

I must say the workings of Windows 7 present challenges that are unexpected. I thought all my back-up files and programs could be transferred and reinstalled as before. No one who sells computers talks about any of these changes with the Windows 7 environment.

I appreciate all your help. I went back up in our messages and added a $25 tip for your help. Thanks.

Thank you kindly for the tip, I will receive my percentage. It is greatly appreciated! I understand with the challenges for Windows 7, what's even worst is that they're pushing Windows 8 right now, yet many customers don't know to check if their computer hardware/software are compatible. Then they install the operating system to find out later that it won't work. Unfortunately, the only way to go back to their previous OS is to do a full format and install again. Here's a site that you can bookmark and check on these types of issues should you want to install other programs. Please keep this link bookmarked. Thank you again for the tip and should you need any help in the future, just ask for me by name or bookmark my profile. I will be notified in less than five minutes, unless I'm sleeping and will reply to you immediately. Thanks, Juliene

Link to check compatibility:

In the upper right hand side of the page you'll see a dropdown box to check for other OS versions such as Windows 7.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I did try the one suggestion you had about making the changes about compatibility before installing the program, but to no avail.

I am stuck, it appears, with using XP mode in a virtual environment. I can only hope that works, given the goofy changes that have been done with the Windows 7 program. I do understand why Microsoft and all the tech companies keep changing their products, but they are fools. You don't fix something that isn't broken.

Now I get to learn how to create a virtual environment and cross my fingers.

Before this is over, I am likely to give an earful to someone at Microsoft and at Dell!

Thanks again for your help.

Carolyn B.

I totally understand, Carolyn.

Carolyn said, "I do understand why Microsoft and all the tech companies keep changing their products, but they are fools. You don't fix something that isn't broken...Before this is over, I am likely to give an earful to someone at Microsoft and at Dell!"

They keep changing programs and 'improving' them because the technology becomes better about every three months. That's about the turnover rate. So while some specialist are busy building the better processor, etc., the programmers are busy tweaking the programs to work with the new hardware. It will never change. Windows XP was a great OS, however, when they made the new OS's for the new improved hardware, they eventually had to remove support for Windows XP, to free up resources. I'm afraid it will always be this way. I wish you luck on getting that virtual machine up and running, but I'm sure you'll do fine. If you get stuck or need further assistance, please let me know. Thanks and have a great day, Juliene