Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Software expert with over 10 years experience.

my pc is locked by a virus that states the FBI has locked it.

Customer Question

my pc is locked by a virus that states the FBI has locked it. I need help removing this.
Category: Software
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Is this what you are seeing?
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you get my response back?
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
No I did not, do you have the virus I showed in the picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Similar. My Screen is a black screen with red writing and an FBI logo. Says my computer is locked due to viewing child porn, etc, and having terrorist activity on it!! Says I must pay $200 to unlock it within 72 hours or will be arrested! (give me a break!!)
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Thank You.

I really hate this virus, it has been going around quite a lot. While the one you are describing does not sound like it looks completely the same I believe I have a removal guide which will take care of it.

I do not know what your computer ability is so this may seem very complicated, if you follow the instructions step by step you should be ok though.

Since this infection makes it so you are unable to launch any application or access your Windows desktop, we first need to reboot your computer into Safe Mode with Networking. To do this, turn your computer off and then back on and when you see anything on the screen, immediately start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard.

Please login as the user that is infected with FBI MoneyPak Ransomware. You may see multiple user accounts so please choose the one you normally use.

When your Windows desktop appears, start Internet Explorer or other web browser, and download and save the Emsisoft Emergency Kit to your desktop from the link below:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-emergency-kit/dl/102/

Please note that this is a large downloaded, so please be patient while it downloads.

Once the file has been downloaded, right click on the EmsisoftEmergencyKit.zip and select the Extract menu option. This will start the Windows compressed file extraction wizard. Follow the steps to extract the file and the Emergency Kit will be extracted to a folder called EmsisoftEmergencyKit on your desktop. Please double-click on the EmsisoftEmergencyKit folder to open it.

When the folder is open, double-click on the Start.exe button to launch the Emsisoft Emergency Kit. You will now be presented with a screen similar to the following:
graphic

Please click on the Emergency Kit Scanner option. When you click on this option, if you see a Windows message asking if you would like EmergencyScanner.bat to run, please allow it to do so by clicking on the Run or Yes buttons.

You will now be shown an update screen prompting you to check for an update.
graphic

Please click on the Yes button to check for any available updates. The Emergency Kit will now download and apply any available updates. When it is done, click on the Back to Security Status link.

You will now be at the main screen for the Emsisoft Emergency Kit as shown below.
graphic

Now click on the Scan PC option in the left hand navigation menu.

You will now be at the Scan PC screen as shown below.
graphic

Select the Deep Scan option if it is not selected and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer.

When the Emsisoft Emergency Kit is finished scanning your computer, you may be presented with an alert box stating that you have a high-risk infection. If you see this alert, please click on the Close button and you should now be at the scan results screen as shown in the image below.
graphic
Click on the Quarantine Selected Objects button, which will remove the infections and place them in the program's quarantine. You can now close the Emsisoft Emergency Kit program.

Please reboot your computer into the normal Windows mode and when you are back at your normal Windows desktop.

At this point the infection should be gone.

I highly recommend you make sure you always install windows updates and any other software updates when asked to. This virus makes its way into a computer through out of date un-updated software.

If you need further help please click reply to expert to let me know.

When asked to rate my service please remember you are rating me personally. You are not rating this website, or the situation itself. If you feel the need to rate bad/poor service please reply back and let me know what I can do to change that.

Thank You
-Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Software expert with over 10 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just finished everything that you said. 32 files were quarantined. Unfortunately when I rebooted, the same thing still came up again and the computer is locked.

UPDATE: I just did a system restore and that seems to have worked for now! I used this morning's date as the restore point. As far as keeping up with Windows updates, I do them pretty religiously as well as run virus scans (in fact one had run this morning!) Oh well....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just logged on this morning to double check that the computer is still working ok after I did a restore. All seems ok for now. I don't know why your suggestions above didn't work - even though it had found 34 issues - 4 were high and 30 were medium. I quarantined those that it did find and when the computer was still locked I did the restore. After that I double checked for Windows Updates - and there was only one, so I installed that and then ran my usual virus scan on the pc before shutting it down for the night. Hopefully this won't happen again. Thanks for trying anyway! I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.

If you need any further help please reply at any time.

Thank You