Ryan B.
Ryan B., Software Technician
Experience:  Desktop Support Tech in a large Clinic

I am using Windows Vista, and when I try to open Rosetta Stone

Customer Question

I am using Windows Vista, and when I try to open Rosetta Stone version 3, I get a "Fatal Application Error #2111" and error #2032. I know there are issues with Rosetta Stone v3 and Vista...any solutions???
Category: Software
Expert:  bbl242003 replied 2 years ago.

bbl242003 :

Please download and install ccleaner and follow my instructions below...

Download/Install CCLEANER. Here is the link...

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

http://tinyurl.com/29wdojt CLICK ON THIS LINK TO DOWNLOAD

Click Download The Latest Version in the top-right hand corner. Once you have this software installed, run it for me. Now i want you to do this with it.

1) Check all boxes under these Categories

- Internet Explorer

- Windows Explorer

- System

- Advanced , PLEASE keep wipe free space UNCHECKED

Wipe Free Space is like Disk Defragment, its very good to use but it takes a while to run it.

2) Click Run Cleaner

3) Click Registry on the main left hand side column

4) Click Scan for Issues

5) Click Fix Select Issues

6) Click No

7) Click Fix All Select Issues

8) Click Ok

9) Click Close

10) Close CCLEANER & Restart Computer

AT THIS POINT, REINSTALL YOUR SOFTWARE FROM FRESH

Customer :

I followed all the steps, restarted, and re-installed Rosetta Stone, and I still get the "Fatal Application Error #2111" and error #2032 when attempting to open the program. I uninstalled the Rosetta Stone and followed all the steps you outlined again, and I still get the error messages. Any other suggestions?

bbl242003 :

can you setup a new user account in windows vista, then install rosetta on it? this will give us a definitive answer in whether or not the software is the issue or if the USER ACCOUNT on your vista machine is the issue.

bbl242003 :

to setup a new user account in vista, go to the control panel, then user accounts, and select new

bbl242003 :

then install rosetta on that user account, please let me know if you need additional instructions

Customer :

Ok...I created a new user account, then installed Rosetta Stone and got the same "Fatal Application Error #2111" and error 2032. Yesterday I installed this same Rosetta Stone software on my old desktop computer which runs Windows XP, and it works just fine....the problem is that I need it on my laptop (Vista) for portability. There seems to be a problem with this software and Windows Vista. Any other suggestions?

bbl242003 :

have you run ALL the updates from microsoft on your windows vista?

bbl242003 :

those will be critical to the full functionality of rosetta

Customer :

I have always run all updates from Microsoft... it's on automatic updates, and I ran it yesterday manually to make sure.

bbl242003 :

are you using the latest service pack? also MSXML is required for the proper installation of Rosetta stone, you can get it from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15697

Customer :

Yes...using the current service pack...service pack 2... (updated it a couple days ago). I will try the MSXML and get back with you.

bbl242003 :

thank you

Customer :

I downloaded MSXML (mssml.exe), restarted my computer, reinstalled Rosetta Stone, and I'm still getting the "Fatal Application Error #2111" and error 2032.

Customer :

Oops...msxml.exe is what I downloaded...not mssml.exe

bbl242003 :

allow me to opt out and allow other experts a chance at this. PLEASE DO NOT rate me , wait to be helped satisfactory before rating.

Expert:  yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome To Just Answer!

Error 2111 Means that your system does not meet the minimum system requirements. Check the back of the box for details on minimum Ram required as this is usually the issue.

It can also indicate that you need permission to install it too. Try running as an Admin.

Let me know :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My pc more than meets the minimum system requirements (Ram, etc...), and I installed it as the administrator (I'm the only one using the computer). There is some issue with this version of Rosetta Stone and Vista...I just don't know what the fix is. I've tried just about everything. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
I read there may have been a defect in some of the disks on version 3 but thats not confirmed. If your version is new I would take it back. If not the best I can do is give you Rosetta's tech support help line and Opt out for a new Expert. Sorry I cant do more. I couldn't find a solid reference to the Errors your having. I wish you luck :)

http://success.rosettastone.com/apex/lander?urlname=newonlinecaseeng
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

1. Please click on Start.
  2. In the search field, type: %programdata% and press then Enter key.
  3. A list of folders will appear. Double-click Rosetta Stone and then TOTALe.
  4. Right-click on "tracking.db3" and click Rename.
  5. Rename the file to "trackingbackup.db3" and press Enter.

Next, install Application Updates:

1. Leave the window with trackingbackup.db3 open, and reinstall Rosetta Stone program, and open it.
  2. An update prompt will appear. Click Update now, and then OK.
  3. Rosetta Stone TOTALe will close and a Setup guide will appear. Follow the Setup to install.
  4. Once complete, open Rosetta Stone TOTALe from your desktop.
  5. If another update prompt appears, then click Update now and then OK. If no update prompt appears, then skip to the next section.
  6. Rosetta Stone TOTALe will close and a Setup guide will appear. Follow the guide to install.

Restore a Rosetta Stone file:

1. Go back to the window containing "trackingbackup.db3".
  2. Right-click on "tracking.db3" and click Delete.
  3. Right-click on "trackingbackup.db3" and click Rename.
  4. Rename it to "tracking.db3" and press Enter.

Open Rosetta Stone TOTALe:

1. Open Rosetta Stone TOTALe from your desktop, and check.

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Please let me know if it works or not. Thank you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate bad or poor service, please stop and click on the "Reply to Expert" link with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have the newest "TOTALe" version or Rosetta Stone, so this fix won't work. I have the older Version 3 from a couple years ago, and from what I understand, version 3 has some issue with Windows Vista. The "tracking.db3" file is not in this version. I was able to successfully load it on my old desktop pc yesterday which still has Windows XP. There is some issue with Windows Vista that I can't figure out.
Sorry, when you try my suggestions, you don't see the tracking file?

Was the version 3 able to work on the vista computer previously?

Can you do:

• Please click on Start.
  • In the search field, type: %programdata% and press then Enter key.
  • Then just delete the Rosetta Stone folder, and see if you can use the rosetta stone program or reinstall it?

• Please let me know. Thank you.
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    When I search after entering %programdata% and pressing enter, the "ProgramData" folder opens up, but there is nothing related to Rosetta Stone whatsoever in that folder. The only place Rosetta Stone shows up is inside the Program Files folder...and the "tracking.db3" is not anywhere.

Previously, this was running on a Windows XP computer... this is the first time I've tried to install it on Vista.
    Sorry, let me open your question to other Professionals. Thank you,
    Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 2 years ago.
    Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    I still haven't found a solution to my problem. If no one has any other suggestions, then cancel my question. Do I still get charged if no solution was found?
    Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 2 years ago.
    Hello and thank you for asking your question on our Site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i'll continue with you. I know this may sound silly but just because you are the administrator on the computer doesn't mean the program was installed as administrator. Please try this for me. Uninstall the program then to reinstall it right click on the install.exe or setup.exe file and click on "Run As Administrator" see if that makes a difference. The Other thing you can try is to Right click on it and go to compatibility and change it to Windows XP SP2 or SP3.

In advance, Thanks for giving a positive rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today.
    If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating, please feel free to ask a follow up and I'll beglad to help you.
    Thanks You,
    Ryan B.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 1 year ago.

I noticed you have rated your answer yet. Please remember that is how I get credit for helping you. When you have time please provide on a rating on the question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
    Hello...I apologize for not replying sooner. Nothing so far has worked. I think I just need to upgrade to Windows 7 which has an option for XP mode, and this software works fine using XP. I appreciate the attempts to help, but nothing worked.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 1 year ago.
    Sorry that nothing has worked so far. Could you please tell me what happend when you tried to run the installer from XP Sp3 compatibility mode?
    Customer: replied 1 year ago.
    Nothing happened...same error messages when I try to open it up after installation.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 1 year ago.
    ok, try this for me please.

Even though you installed it in compatibility mode maybe it also has to be opened in compatibility mode from the icon that you typically double click on to open it. Please right click on that icon and go to properties and then compatibility and try that for me.
    Customer: replied 1 year ago.
    Tried it, but it didn't work. At this point I give up. I have done a lot of things to my computer that are making my pc run oddly. I've tried everything 10 times, but nothing has worked. I think windows 7 is the best option at this point. Thanks for your help.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 1 year ago.
    Alright, no problem. I understand. Your welcome

If you need anything else please let us know. Thanks

Have A Great Night