Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785
Software

I need to find out how I can sign out of Dropbox on my laptop

so that in case if... Show More
so that in case if my laptop is stolen the thief cannot get into my Dropbox account on the web from my computer and make changes there (e.g., change my password) or get my computer to start synchronizing with my Dropbox on the web or my other computers without first manually entering my password (which he won't have).
Category: Software
replied 4 years ago.

When you have you laptop, you can right-click on the Dropbox icon at the bottom right of the screen, then click on Preferences, then click on Account, then unlink the computer.

If your laptop is stolen, can you just sign in your dropbox account at https://www.dropbox.com/, then change your password (if somehow that person gets your dropbox password). Then that person cannot access your dropbox account on the web.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
This does not fully help. I may not know for hours that the laptop has been stolen. In the mean mean time the thief may get into my Dropbox account on the web from the stolen computer, change the password, delink all other computers and then do whatever he wants with all the files that are on my Dropbox account site.

So the key question is, how do I sign out in a way that no one can get in without manually entering the password. It seems that Dropbbox saves the password XXXXX in each linked computer and anyone with access to one of them can get Dropbox going by just clicking Dropbox from the Windows Start button.
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 4 years ago.
The only way is to unlink the computer; there is no sign out from the dropbox program.

And no one can get into your dropbox account without a password. And you cannot change the dropbox password XXXXX knowing the current password.

You cannot crack the password.

The thief can only get files that are on your laptop if it is stolen. He cannot your files from the dropbox website without the current dropbox password (make sure not to save your passwords from websites on the browser.) Thank you.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
I do not think what you are telling me is correct. Even if I unlink my computer, anyone who has access to my computer can launch Dropbox by going to Dropbox in the All Programs and clicking on Dropbox. At that point it does not ask for password. It gets the password XXXXX soemwhere it has saved it.
I use Dropbox. The Dropbox folder is just like a regular folder on your computer. Your files are in the Dropbox folder like any other folder; the dropbox folder is only synced to the web if it is linked.

When you launch Dropbox by going to Dropbox in the All programs, it does not ask for password, but it cannot do anything at all, i.e, it cannot get your files from the dropbox website. After unliking the computer, then it will ask for password.

Thank you.