Nick H.
Nick H., IT Specialist
Experience:  General Software support
63271161

I am unable to launch Adobe Acrobat X Pro

Customer Question

I am unable to launch Adobe Acrobat X Pro from either the desktop or from the start menu.

For your information, I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.
Category: Software
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome,

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your issues.

Did you just install Adobe Acrobat X Pro?

Or you installed and used it before, however now you have this issue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The program has been installed for a month or so and is part of the Adobe Master Suite 6.0 that was updated through a down load from Adobe.

The problem occurred when I opened an Acrobat file. As I began viewing the file, the program stopped running. I have run Norton 360 and there are no viruses on my computer.

Hopefully this information will assist you.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jim.

Please go to Task Manager. Ctrl + Alt + Del and select Start Task Manager. Go to Processes. Sort by Names. Do you see Acrobat.exe on the list? If yes, please select it and click End Process. Then try to run Acrobat Pro. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have followed your instructions and ended the task in the task manager. I have restarted the computer twice, but the program will still not operate. There is also another process that is running that may be linked to the Acrobat program, it is called acrotray.exe. I have attempted to end this process as well, but it continues to run even after I restarted the computer.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jim.

Please click START button and type in the search field msconfig press Enter. You will see a Configuration screen. Go to STARTUP tab. Look on the list for acrotray.exe. uncheck it. click OK and reboot your system. Test Acrobat Pro again. Thank you.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Jim,

Did you install any software recently? And were you be able to run Acrobat Pro after uncheck the acrotray.exe?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I have not installed any new software. The acrotray did not appear after I unchecked it, however acrobat_si.exe was running. When I went looking for that in the msconfig, I did not see it. The only other checked box was Adobe Acrobat. I have unchecked it and restarted the computer. the acribat_si.exe continues to show up on the processes menu.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Jim,

Please go back to STARTUP tab using msconfig. Uncheck all the Adobe boxes. Search for adobeARM as well. Reboot and see if you can open Adobe Acrobat now.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Jim,

If that does not work, please go to Control Panel->Programs and Features->Select your Adobe suite and click Change. Select Repair option. After the repair, please reboot your computer and test Acrobat Pro again.

Please let me know if you see any error code or messages. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

After following the steps above, I attempted to launch the program, it looked like it was going to start, but stopped. When I looked at the processes in the start menu, it put the adobe exe. I ended it and went back into the msconfig and there were now two versions of both acrobat and acrotray. I again disabled them and restarted the computer. The program would not start. When I looked at the process under the start menu, it put the acrobat_si.exe.

There were no error messages when I ran the repair or at any time before or after.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

When did you FIRST have this issue?

Please use this Ccleaner to clear temp file and fix Registry settings:

Download/install Ccleaner by clicking on the link below:

Download from Piriform

After installed, run Ccleaner and select Run Cleaner.

Select Yes if prompted.

When done, click Registry button on the left. Click "Scan for issues".

When scan is completed, select Fix selected issue and select NO when prompted for backup registry.

Then restart your system and test the issue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi sorry for the delay.

After running the CClean software and and doing your other suggestions, after fixing the issues, I restarted the computer and tried to launch the program, it again did not launch.

Another problem was created when I went into Outlook to click on your latest message, I got View Experts message, the following message appeared.

The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect Please contact your system administrator.

So I had to come back through the browser.

I have fixed the problem with outlook, I am now able to click the link and it launches my browser and brings me to this page

however the other problem still exists..
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Jim,

Please go to START and type in the search field C:\users\[your name]\appdata\local\adobe and press Enter. In there if you see Acrobat folder. Rename it to Acrobat.bak. Then try to run Acrobat again. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After attempting your last suggestion, The program still would not open. Because I needed to access the program, I ended up uninstalling the program and reinstalling it from the Adobe web site.

Thank you for your attempts to resolve this issue.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jim.

Did the install from Adobe's website work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yesm after I uninstalled the non working version.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jim for your info.

Glad that your issue is resolved.

That is really odd that the version on the Suite is not working properly. I was about to ask you contact Adobe support getting a download link and use your Suite license.

If you feel my service was helpful, please rate my answer 3 or more rating so I can get credit. Or you can request a refund using this link:

http://www.justanswer.com/refund/refund-1-2/refund.aspx

Again, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Have a great day!