The A+ PCTech
The A+ PCTech, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CompTIA A+ Certified IT Technician,
63330529

My computer wont read a PNY Optima SD HCC HD 8gb memory card.

Customer Question

My computer won't read a PNY Optima SD HCC HD 8gb memory card. I have a card reader as part of my computer. Is there a driver I can download to get my computer to read it?
Category: Software
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

JBryan42 :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you with this problem.

JBryan42 :

If the card reader slot on your computer does not have the SDHC logo, it is most likely not SDHC compatible and will only read cards up to 2GB capacity.

JBryan42 :

Is it a MicroSD?

JBryan42 :

Good luck. Let me know if you need anything further.

Customer:

it says ms/pro/xd sd/mmc/sdhc

Customer:

that is what is says on my reader

Customer:

the card is a large one saying sd/hc/hd 8gb

JBryan42 :

Ok. Do you know the make and model of your reader?

Customer:

It is inside my computer

Customer:

it says ms/pro/xd sd/mmc/sdhc

Customer:

I have an HP touchsmart 300 pc

Expert:  The A+ PCTech replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Ron. Here is a link to the HP Touchsmart 300 series list. Select your model and then downloads. They should have the driver download there. While your driver is up to date, it could be corrupted. If your system says that it can read that format, you may need to reinstall the driver or there may be an update available. You will see once you locate your full model number. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4062&sw_lang=&tool=&query=touchsmart+300#N29

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have.
The A+ PCTech, PC Support Tech
Experience: CompTIA A+ Certified IT Technician,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information, but there are a lot of updates there but I saw none pertaining to the card reader.

I am not sure the reader is able to read a 8gb HD memory card.

I tried to find a driver from PNY the maker of the card, but I couldn't.
You would think they would release something so readers can read it.

I think I may need a card reader newer than the one I have.
You stated some where that you had tried a usb card reader that also did not read it. That would only depend on the usb driver for the system to use that external reader which is different than the firmware software that is needed by the computer to use the hardware installed in the system. That means, the usb reader should have worked.

Try uninstalling the card reader from the device manager and reboot to let the system find and install it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Or, if you cannot get a driver to work with your reader, you can use a well tested reader which is the SanDisk MicroMate. You can find them one of them listed here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SanDisk-MicroMate-SD-HC-card-reader-Hi-Speed-USB-/200568164671?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item2eb2cb513f#ht_1616wt_1214

But you should be able to purchase them at most computer retail stores.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, so my reader says it should read SDHC, but it is not reading the card SDHC. So it should be compatible. I don't want to wait for something to come in the mail, especially since my reader should be able to read it. There must be a driver out there.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me exactly which model Touchsmart 300 you have? It would be something along the lines of "300-1200z CTO Desktop PC" or "300-1038tw Desktop PC" ... something like that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it is(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. And which version of Windows? I would assume Windows 7, but I want to make sure. Also, is it a 32 or 64 bit operating system? You can find out (assuming Windows 7, let me know if it's not Win 7) by clicking start, right-click "Computer", select "Properties" and it will be listed next to "System Type".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows 7 64 bit I would send you a screen shot but there is no way to do that here
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
No problem.

Ok, the problem is that the card reader on the HP will read SD cards, but not SDHC cards (an 8gb card is SDHC). So the recommended solution from HP is to either use a usb cable to connect the the computer to the device that the sdhc card is used in, or purchase a specialized sdhc card reader like the one I mentioned.

Do you have a Best Buy or something nearby you? If you want to give me your zip code I can try to find a store that sells the SanDisk MicroMate that I mentioned above so that you don't have to wait for it to arrive in the mail.

Or, you can go with the usb cable to device that uses the sdhc card installed.

Here is the relevant quote from the HP website:

The computer might lock up when an SDHC card is inserted. To immediately fix the lock up, double-click the Safely Remove Hardware icon, (in the notification area in the lower right corner of the screen), select the USB card reader, and then click Stop. The card reader will not work until the computer is restarted. You can now safely remove the memory card and use the computer for other activities.

To use your higher capacity memory card without locking up the computer, do one of the following:

- If you are using the card in a camera or other device, attach the device to the computer using a USB or FireWire cable. When connected, most devices appear in Windows as a Removable Disk and can be used in the same way as the card reader.

- Buy a USB memory card reading device that plugs into an open USB port. Make sure the USB device can read SDHC cards. These devices are inexpensive and can be used in any computer that has a USB port.