D.Marino
D.Marino, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Independent Computer and Network Security Professional
37043141

Microsoft security essentials will not open and run a scan

Customer Question

Microsoft security essentials will not open and run a scan etc. it is obviously installed on my laptop and I have already uninstalled it and reinstalled it with no success. I also installed MALWAREBYTES virus software and AVG separately but I cannot open these either. What is the problem? Additionally, a DELL notification refering to my operating system being successfully restored keeps continuosly reappearing despite my instructing it not to remind me again
Category: Software
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Hi I would like the chance to help you here ok. First I will need a little more info on the system. I see it is a Dell so that helps. And I also see from your explanation that your system is infected. There are a few things we need to do together to kill this bug and get things back to normal ok. So I can just keep posting steps to you back and forth or we can meet here at a specific time so we can work together the choice is yours. So I would first like to explain that using 2 antivirus programs at the same time can cause your system trouble. When you have more than one they see each other as a virus and fight. So you listed AVG and Microsoft Security. These are both anti virus programs I would like you to just choose one, and remove the other ok. I use Avg myself. (the free version) :) So now you said that you have malwarebytes installed but it will not run *correct? I would like you to run it in safemode. To do this turn the computer completely off then push the power on and immediately start tapping, tapping, tapping, the F8 key on the keyboard until you get a black screen with choices written in white and choose safe mode. Now let the system come all the way up to the Vista desktop and then right click the malwarebytes icon and choose "run as administrator" and run the full scan. If the avg is also installed please run it from this screen as well. It will look different then the normal screen but works the same in safe mode. Now when this is done (both) restart the computer and let me know when you have finished. Or let me know right away if the system will not allow you to run these two programs at all from safe mode ok? As soon as you do this let me know with a reply so I can walk you through the next step "error check". This will fix the disk that the bug has messed up and then we will also turn all the services the bug has disabled so your system runs well ok. I know this sounds like allot but it is all very easy. If you need better instructions above to get you started just reply and I will jump back and give you more detailed instructions my friend if not let me know when you have run the scans and restarted so I can help you with the rest :) If you want also let me know what time and day you want to continue together and I would be happy to meet you here then. Thank You and God Bless! Denise

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thankyou, I will try these. But just so you know, I only have microsorft sec essentials and Malwarebytes installed. Avg is uninstalled.
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.

Hi are you there??

If so please uninstall the Microsoft Essentials. and then do the steps above and run the malwarebytes from safe mode ok. Then when the scan is done and you restart the computer normally just install the Avg again and run it . I am here online now if you need me just send a reply ok. Thanks Denise Smile

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I tried to run malwarebytes in safemode but it would not open and run. I tried microsoft essentials and it would not run either
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.
Ok lets do it this way: restart the computer and this time choose safemode with networking ok. Then when your on the safe mode desktop go to this link and re download malwarebyte form it you will choose the GREEN download button on the left please look at the picture. It will remove your old one and give you a new one and is very fast ok. graphic Here is the link to this: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1d Now after you download it run it and restart the computer and let me know if you get this working I am online now and will pop right back in to continue to help ok. ")
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok will try this and get back to you asap. thanks
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome take your time I am here when your done let me know :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Denise, tried that but it did not work, would not open.
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.
Hi I need you to give me more details ok. I can't see what you do so the more details the better :) Did the program not run or did it not install from safemode with networking. I am here shoot me a reply. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The program did install but it would not run. I had it in safemode with networking. thanks
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.

Ok while in safe mode did you just click it and run it? If so try to (in safe mode) right click the icon and choose run as administrator and see if it allow you to run it. I am here thanks for the info Alan sorry I have to ask so many questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, i definitely right clicked and tried to run as administrator but no joy.
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.
Ok thats odd there is something else going on here so let me try to narrow this down. Did you remove microsoft security? are there any other antivirus programs on this computer? or just the ones you told me about? If the microsoft is still on the system remove it and try one more time for me. Let me know I am still here.
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.

Some antivirus programs on the system can block you from running things, That is why I ask and also a bug will definitely try to block you. I do want to now a little more about what you said above where you mentioned a box that pops up saying system has been restored and it won't stay closed when you check it, did you run a system restore? And is this the only weird symptom that you are seeing?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes i did run a system restore. this DELL box just continously comes up no matter how many times you give it a command to do otherwise. I will uninstall micro essentials now, try malware and get back to you asap
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.
Ok I am still here. Take your time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I removed microsoft essentials and then tried to run malware in safe mode but again it would not open
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.
Wow that's a mess. :( and you don't have any other antivirus/malware remover/speed up/ or registry cleaners on this system? Let's try a little scan to see if it fixes some issues ok. Go to the normal startup screen on vista and then hit the start and type in the search there cmd and then look at the top of the list for a little black icon and right click it one time and choose run as administrator>> when the box opens type in this command exactly including the spaces you see and hit enter and let it run. When it is done it will say complete then close and try to run malwarebytes. Type this in the command box sfc /scannow hit enter on the keyboard and let it run then try malwarebytes one more time and let me know if this doesn't fix it we will do something completely different to fix your system. I am amazed it is giving you any trouble at all from safemode. I am still with you. Let me know what happens Alan. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, have started this and i will let it run and then do malware and get back to you
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.
Ok Alan let that run and just send me a reply when you want to continue ok. Remember you didn't pay anything at all until we fix this so only send me reply's to me ok my friend. When we do fix this is when you hit accept. I will sign off now and catch up with you later. Thanks Denise
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I managed to get microsoft safety scanner to run a full scan in safemode. It is about 3/4 complete, has been scanning for about an hour and a half and has found 4 infected files so far. I will contact you when this finished. I dont know if this tool has a virus removal function but of course if it does I will apply it. either way I will get back to you.Alan
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Alan, I look forward to working with you later. Denise
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi the scan finished and actually removed the infections, It scanned for about 2 1/2 hours so it appeared very thorough, however, I tried to run malware in safemode again but it is still not opening. What now?
I actually downloaded malware again from that link you gave me and tried to run it again but no joy.
Anyhow, I am going to sign off now as I have to go out. Let me know if it is possible to communicate about this issue again tomorrow (monday) How about 1pm my time?
Please do let me know. Thanks. Alan
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alan, I just got your post. You have a virus on this computer which is blocking malwarebytes and it needs to be removed because eventually it will destroy other programs as well. sorry :( But we will continue to work to finish this and get you back up and running. I am on the east coast of the US so we are about 7 hours apart in time. It only says your first name and country on my side so I don't know exactly what time your on so let me give you a step or two to start while I take my little one to school. I believe 1pm your time will be 8:30/9am my time so it won't take me long ok. So let me see if we can try to get this working on your computer it is needed. I would like you to uninstall malwarebytes completely first, then restart the computer in safemode with networking ok. Now once the computer desktop loads go to the link I give you again and we are going to "mask the download". Sounds strange but sometimes it allows the program to run. The bug is blocking any and all things called malwarebytes so we will hide it. So here is the link again: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1d Now this time When you hit the download I want you to choose save as instead of run>>>then when the box pops up choose desktop if you don't see it choose browse and then pick desktop.>> now once you pick desktop look at the bottom of the box you will see mbam-setup-1.62.0.1400 ok back space this out and change it to alan.exe and hit save then leave it there for a moment. Now download and run this antiroot kit remover. It will kill the rootkit malware on the computer called TDSS. So click this link: http://tinyurl.com/2cekohb download and run this then when it is finished and you restart the computer to safemode go to the control panel and uninstall it. And then look on your desktop for the little icon called alan.exe and click it open and install malwarebytes and run that bad boy. lol It should have no problem running now. I want you to do all the above in safemode with networking ok. Now as soon as I get back this morning from taking my little girl to school I will log right back in and see how you did my friend. Talk to you soon. Thanks Denise

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
D.Marino, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: Independent Computer and Network Security Professional
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi denise, I have sent a couple of replies etc referring to your most recent suggestion Mon 7 May, not solving the issue. I recieved no reply since. can you advise as to whether you can continue on this?
Thanks

Alan
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alan, This is the first response I have received since our last talk. (Mon. May 7) I don't know what has happened. Can you tell me more details? I gave you 2 different things to do in our last post can you explain which thing did not work or if neither one worked. This way I can guide you my friend. I will be out of my home most of the day today but will keep checking each time I come back in for your answer ok. Thanks DeniseSmile
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Denise,
just got your msg now. Its Almost 12am here! Anyhow< I did the two things you asked. Found some threats with the rootkit tool. Deleted them. Then followed your instructions and tried malware again but no joy. I did exactly what you said in safemode network etc. Basically I still have the same problem.
What do you reckon now?
Regards
Alan
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alan, sounds like the first time we installed malwarebytes it was done with a virus that the root kit may have gotten rid of now. So let me get you to uninstall and reinstall malwarebytes one more time from safemode with networking and also a program called ccleaner. Now both are free and you should have no trouble with the ccleaner I will explain how to run it once you have it on the system ok. But go ahead and install both the programs here are the two links: http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/3000-18512_4-10315544.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1d this one:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

and of course this one http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol;1 this one:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Now alan let me know when you have had a chance to do this and I will send you steps to run the CCleaner first ok. Thanks and God Bless Denise :)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Denise
installed both things but as you said, I did not run them. I am awaiting your response.

Thanks

ALAN
Expert:  D.Marino replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alan, sorry for the delay my computer crashed and I had to rebuild and update everything. So now that you have both programs on this is how I would like you to run them. Start the computer in safemode I would like you to click open the ccleaner first>>a box will pop up that says keep smart cookies please say no>> Then when the larger scanner box opens hit analyze when this is done hit run cleaner>> a box pops up that says something like are you sure you want to delete say yes>>then click the tab that says applications and do the same>>when this is done look on the left for registry and choose it and hit scan for issues>> when it is done hit fix selected issues> a box pops up that says do you want to back up the registry say no (you don't want a copy of the junk it finds because empty registry keys it finds can hold viruses)

then you choose fix selected issues and then fix all issues and close all. Now once that is done look for your malwarebytes icon on the desktop and put your mouse on it and right click one time and choose run as administrator and set it to run full scan and when it is done it will show you a box that says view results and please make sure all the little boxes in there are checked and choose remove and restart the computer the normal way. When all is done please let me know how you did ok. Thank You Denise and God Bless ;)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Denise
Thankyou for your msg. I carried out everything exactly as you instructed,

but unfortunately Malwarebytes is still not opening. Had an idea of uninstalling it again and trying a different program ie Mcafee or Norton etc.

What do think?

Regards

Alan