Molinari
Molinari, Software Specialist
Experience:  Certified IT Guru
16561526

Im running Windows 7 professional. I partitioned my hard disk,

Customer Question

I'm running Windows 7 professional. I partitioned my hard disk, adding D,E,&F drives. Now my C drive is running out of space! How can I move empty space from other drives back to C?
Category: Software
Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Ok, is there anything on the other drives?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. D drive says Recovery; can't remember where that came from.
E drive is all my program data.
F drive is a few program downloads that I could probably delete & download again from Internet if I need them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, what happens next?
Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
Ok, leave d and e alone, you can probably copy the contents of f to e into a new folder.

Then first run disk cleanup and see how much space if freed up as system restore will gobble up any space that's free:

Start>My Computer, right-clicking C and choosing Properties>General will display Disk Cleanup, which shows options for deleting unneeded files and recovering disk space. Click on everything except downloaded program files and thumnails, and click ok.
If it closes after that, open it again and select the More Options tab.
Under System Restore, click on Clean up....
You will be prompted. Click Yes.
When done, click OK.
You will be prompted again. Press Yes to confirm.

If there still isn't as much room as you'd like, then you can shrink F:, and expand C:
(you may also want to move the my documents to another driver if you haven't already):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

Click on the windows orb in the lower kleft corner and type partition, and then click on create and format partitions.

In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Shrink Volume” from the menu.

In the Shrink dialog, you will want to enter the amount you want to shrink by, not the new size. For example, if you want to shrink your 50gb partition by roughly 10gb so that it will now be roughly 40gb, enter 10000 into the box:

Extend a Partition

In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Extend Volume” from the menu.

On this screen, you can specify the amount that you want to increase the partition by. In this case, I’m going to extend it back to the roughly 50GB size that it was before.

Let me know if you run into any trouble...

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No good. First, the link is for XP, not 7.

I get to the window, select drive C, and "shrink" is available, but not "Extend" - it's grayed out.

Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
If you mean disk cleanup. it works the same, go to computer, riight click on c, and choose properties. Under the general tab is disk cleanup.
If you mean moving my documents, that is also the same, right click on my documents and choose location.

You have to shrink F first before you can expand C...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We're not communicating well. I have shrunk E and F; now Disk Management screen shows Free Space on both those drives, but I can't see how to move it back to Drive C!

C is the primary partition, the others are in an extended partition.

Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
If you click on d, does it say it's expandable?
Is there now a section that says unallocated space?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, D is also in the primary partition.

E, F are in the extended partition.

I have freed up space on E & F, so I see Free Space on both of those.

How do I move that free space into the primary partition, to drive C?

Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
The built in windows disk management only works with contiguous space after the partition, which means that the unallocated space must be immediately next to the primary drive where windows is installed.

You shrank both E & F so there is an unallocated section like this athe the end on the right?

//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_www.sevenforums.com/attachments/general-discussion/138669d1297839313-how-extend-my-c-drive-volume-help.jpg
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, my display is different. I'm running Windows 7!! I show Drive E, then free space, and Drive F, then free space. No "unallocated" space.
Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
Ok, download and run this pick one under download locations:

http://majorgeeks.com/EASEUS_Partition_Master_Home_Edition_d5967.html

Then follow these directions:

1. Launch EaseUS Partition Master.

Resizing and moving partition

2. Use "Resize/Move partition" function to move the free space section right next to C.

Partition resizer

Move partition

3. After the steps above, there is free space behind C:. Now, use "Resize/Move partition" to extend C: partition.

Extend system partition

4. Click Apply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't see any "Resize/Move Partition" option!!!

There's "Create Partition", Wipe Data, Partition Recovery, and View Properties!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, just found the Resize/Move. I'll try to use that & get back to you.
Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
Ok,Let me know if you run into any trouble...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay, I'm stuck again. If I click on a drive letter, I see the Resize/Move option. But if I click on unallocated space, it's gone!

HOW do I move the unallocated space??

Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
Ok, format it, then when it's a partition, you should be able to move it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You say, "2. Use "Resize/Move partition" function to move the free space section right next to C."

I can't see how to do this!! Feeling stupid right now.

I gave the unallocated space a drive letter. Now what? It shows up after drive E; can't figure out how to move it to after drive C!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
You actually don't want to assign a drive letter to the free space. Remove the drive letter, then resize drive C: to include the free space that was on the unpartitioned space.

Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
What happens when you try to move it?

Use "Resize/Move partition" function to move the free space section right next to C.
Partition