jnayes
jnayes, Computer Support
Experience:  Network Administrator

I cant run on accsss scan..cant download or install updates..Dont

I cant run on accsss scan..cant download or install updates..Dont have spinstall.exe,,sqmapi.dll is missing..Also hardware changes may not have been detected...Active Movie Window says Win SAT.exe system error.. I down loaded a PC cleaner and got a message that says SEARCHCORE.NET is a Browser hijacker and installs undesireable toolbars..I went back and restored my computer to an earlier time...I have a great spyware called STOPSIGN and never had a computer virus get passed them for six years but cant figure it out..Do you think by restoring my computer to an earlier time I got rid of it????..Stopsign ran this morning and no viruses were found...I do need to download these programs in this message and update..
Category: Software
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.

Please read: Remember to use the REPLY TO button for clarification/additional information until you are fully satisfied. Only then you may Accept or Rate my answer.

First off, Stopsign is one of the worst antiviruses on the market. In fact, about 7 years ago, it wasn't considered malware itself due to its nature of disabling other antiviruses. Regardless, its come a long way in rep, but as far as effectiveness, extremely lacking on removal/detection rates.

Your lack of infections is more likely tied with your browsing habits (as in, you don't click everything willy nilly that you see like a lot of users).

Let's assume you still have an infection, the highest detect rate, post infection cleaner is malwarebytes.

You may download it here for free:

http://tinyurl.com/justmal4

Install it, then run a FULL system scan. At the end of the scan, click Show Results, and then Remove Selected. It will likely have you restart your computer afterwards.

Once completed, try to update again and see if the virus is removed and the damage undone. Also, if you're looking for recommendations on a better AV scanner let me know. Regardless, when finished, keep me posted on the results in case we need to pursue further diagnostics.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just ran malwarebytes and they found 32 infected folders and cleaned them out.. Since my stop sign runs every day and running now shoud I uninstall the program now???? Also malware told me my database was outdated by 80 days and stopsign cant do that..So far I am pleased with your help Jnayes and wait for your response to give you a LOVE IT..
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
I would uninstall stop sign (as I said, I have no reason to give you this information unless I truly believe it was an awful scanner).

I'd recommend Avast antivirus. The free version is ok, the Pro version (which I believe is 50$ for 2 years) is pretty aggressive. Run a local IT company and its the only AV software I'll give to my clients as its rare that they get follow up infections after protecting themselves.

You may update Malwarebytes as you need to, and use it as often as you want (its been the tops on the market for a long time). However, its a POST infection scanner, the real time scanning of it isn't that great. You use it when you think you're in trouble.

Another good one is http://www.hitmanpro.nl

It's more aggressive (and great at the more nasty rootkit virues) but its not as thorough as Malwarebytes.

So to recap.

1) Realtime protection, Avast.

2) Post infection (if you think you have a virus), Malwarebytes, followed by Hitman.

Let me know if you need anything further.
jnayes, Computer Support
Experience: Network Administrator
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To Jnayes,, My original problem was a virus still in my compyter and your
suggestion of downloading malware worked fine but,, I remember e-mailing
you and telling you that stopsign was still running in the back ground.You
said to uninstall stopsign so,I went into my programs and clicked on
stopsign and a block came up saying they were having some kind of problem
so,I could not uninstall..I continued to check out my computer and about an
hour later got a popup saying you have no anti virus protection..Checked
malware and it was gone and shortly after that my entire system froze up
and crashed..I could not go on the internet to e-mail you of the problem..I
called a computer teck company here in vegas and they sent a teck out to my
place and he solved the problem..He said there was no stopsign or malware
and no viruses..He said the two anti virus systems destroyed each other but
no viruses..The problem was all my registration files were corrupted and
the computer didn't know what to do so the system froze and crashed..He
re-downloaded malware because he liked it and microsoft essentials and I
did an update on both twice and haven't had a problem since..I had to pay
120.00 for the teck to come out. I am having one small problem that needs
administration to correct..I was looking at some porno pictures and never
downloaded or asked to save any of it and I went into computer search and
found DADS FUN in SIX different places..Why not just ONE FILE ... Why did
it download it six times without me asking.. FILE---Table Text
Simplified--SHUANG PIN 1.37MB c/windows/winsxs/x86/microsoft windows-t..d
another on is almost the same but NT/Table Text Services..Thats four times
and the other two say IMJPN.DIC Type: DIC FILE 10.2mb date modified
6-10-09...I'm sitting here reading newsmax to catch up on the news and DADS
FUN pops up in my face out of nowhere..Thank God my old lady wasn"t
here..See if you can get that out of my computer and explain to me how
something like this can happen...Thats not right..
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
The tech is/was wrong, you had an infection for sure. The virus is what destroyed the antiviruses. Malwarebytes likely corrected it the first time around, but sometimes an infection can leave some undesired effects following.

I'd like you to run this AV next.

http://www.hitmanpro.nl

Click downloads. Download the version that pertains to your system (32-bit or 64-bit), you're likely 64-bit if you're running Windows 7. Run the scanner, its fast. If it gives you a clean bill of health, you're likely ok on the virus front (it will find cookies, but they are harmless).

Now, as for a file being downloaded multiple times, its either adware/malware, or its being cached. Caching is what happens when you view any page, your browser automatically downloads pictures/etc so that when you come back to the page, it loads faster.

You can clear the cache anytime, or have it clear on browser exit by setting it up that way.

For Internet Explorer: Tools > Internet Options. On the general you'll see" delete browser history on exit", you can also click Delete to manually delete what you want.

For Firefox: tools > options, and under the privacy tab are the settings.

However, "dad's fun" sounds like a program that's more or less attached itself it to the browser as an addon. Easiest way to clear this is to go to start > all programs > accessories > RUN.

Type inetcpl.cpl and hit enter, click the advanced tab. Close ALL browser windows including this one (internet explorer is a browser for example), and then click restore advanced settings, click reset, and click reset again. Which will strip the addon.

Now, when you open Internet Explorer again, it will appear a bit cleaner, to reenable the menu bars. Tap the alt key, click "View > Toolbars > menu bar". Then "View > toolbars > Favorite bar" and that should bring you back to what you're used to, minus the pop up.

I know that's a lost to digest, and for the last step where you close Internet Explorer, you may need to print this page or write down that step in order to complete it since you'll need to close your internet browser for it to successfully work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Himan found nothing after running recommened scan and quick scan..On dads fun I tried off the internet and on the internet..Directions say start,,all programs,, Run ???????? Run what..There is nothing under accesories that says run anything so,I typed in inetcpl.cpl and pulled up one program which said CONTROL PANEL,,SIZE 1.42mb 2-27-2012..This brings up ( internet propertie ) and when I click on advanced tab the block is deleted..I cant find RUN anywhere and thats the problem..Should I be on the internet or off...
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
If you're indeed running Windows 7.

Start > all programs > accessories > RUN.

There should be a run command. If there's not, you're probably not running 7, and it would just be start > run.

Alternatively, you can hold down the windows key on your keyboard and tap the R key, that will open the run command.

Or you can just click the start button, and type the commands as if it were the run window *assuming you're running vista or 7"

As far as the block being deleted in the advanced options of internet explorer. This program will do the same reset:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Download and run the fix it tool, be sure to close Internet Explorer after you run it (to complete it)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ran hitman on recommended and quick scan and found nothing.. Tried to find Dads Fun and under accesories there is no RUN to click on..Should I be on internet or off because I tried both ways..Directions dont make sense?????
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
I already responded to this. See below: (if you don't find run, just continue to the way botXXXXX XXXXXnk which has the program that will do the same command set as what would have been done out of Run)

If you're indeed running Windows 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Lastly, you can always give firefox a shot (faster, more secure, and far more reliable) if you're having issues with Internet Explorer.

Firefox is free and comes highly recommended, from here:

http://www.firefox.com

I wouldn't ever use Internet Explorer, so I always recommend to my clients to make the switch and save themselves headaches in the future.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
UPDATE---Your microsoft fixit program never finished. The blue line moved to where it says wait and stuck for two hours..HP diagnostics has all info on this computer which is Windows 7 Home Premium and Service Pack 3 downloaded today..Explorer 9..Your fix it tool would not RUN...Blue line sat on ( WAIT FOR TWO HOURS ) Never moved accros to far side of block..Dont feel bad because HP could not get their fixit tool to run either..When you click on TUNE UP those arrows just spin round and round on gathering information for three hours and never completed the run.. Ran HP DIAGNOSTIC the day before and checked every system..PASSED 100%..Everything and the next day cant TUNE UP..Called--ON THE PHONE --Talking to guy and could not get system to come up and run. Went on Explorer today--UPDATE TO 9.NOW WHAT>>Two systems to fix problems wont download,,,install or RUN...I got google back as my home page ,, have my favorites,,but system is real slow,,as for DADS FUN stuck in those files I guess I'll just have to live with it. HITMAN found nothing--scanned 977,000,,registry was 685,000..OH--HP TECK never called me back..GREAT..Dont have any viruses but a slow system..Have to live with it..One thing after another just leads to another problem..Call me XXX-XXX-XXXX..I'm DONE>THANKS..
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
You're not stuck with them.

Did you try Firefox as I stated?

http://www.firefox.com

As for system speed, you can follow my guide below:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vGG5zEp6suqfxuyWwkXcPGP5_aiLJuNaBx1ZHT7R1Fw/edit?hl=en_US

Skip to the second part related to startup though, not services. You can enable and disable which programs you want to start with Windows, the vast majority of them do not need to start with it.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I have firefox but not for browser or web page.Would that change my explorer 9 and all my favorites..All of these programs want you to change to their browser and home page. Was looking at micro soft downloads and ran free scan with ARO 2012 ..I cant believe all the problems and malware says I've got five days left..Went trouble shooting last night.. Windows update components fixed,google toolbar disable, I must have four already ..Do I need another???..Homegroup info needs refreshed,,dont have a printer but says changes may not have been detected,,Ran Program Compatibility and said incompatible application detected--Which One?? HP program says Service Pack one,,Program Compatibility says Windows Service Pack 2,and yesterday my system updated to 3.. Will ARO 2012 straighten this out and thats another 30 plus you. If i keep going like this I could have bought another computer..Is there any way I can call you because the hp teck never called me back.They also run off windows and something would not let their program install and run..The trouble shooter tool or fix it tool did not work..There is something in this computer causing all these problems.Every time I start checking things in this computer to see if its running right I find more problems. I'm getting to a point where I should throw it in the dumpster and say the hell with it..

Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
Not a single program I referenced you had a fee attached to it unless you "wanted" to buy it. Not a single one.

You're using too many programs that are stating problems. Many of these programs (especially ridiculous ones like HP Diagnostics), will simply "scare" you into saying you have problems so you purchase them.

The only programs I mentioned you try were Malwarebytes (free), hitman (free for 30 days), Microsoft Fix it tool (free), and the rest of the commands were built into windows. I don't see any problems left with your machine based on what you've described besides the dad fun thing, which I believe is an add-on toolbar. You've worked with multiple technicians on this, many with their own agenda (I do not have one, you buying software does nothing for me).

HP - useless
3rd party tech- Don't know what all he did, so can't say either way.

You originally came here with an infection, which we attempted (was under the impression successfully) cleaned. The post results were small left over damage that we tried to remedy.

To answer your questions, Aro, no, will not straighten anything out.

The only antivirus you need is a real time scanner (such as avast, also free for home version), Malwarebytes (full scan). I just used Hitman with you in case malwarebytes missed something, which happens, though rarely.

If your system is updating again, you're probably ok. Only one operating system has service pack 3. That's windows XP, not windows vista or 7. If you are indeed running XP, then service pack 3 is where you want to be at.

For Vista, service pack 2. For 7, service pack 1. Ignore the "compatibility" wizard, as its often wrong, and really only applies to 64-bit Vista/7, once again, NOT xp.

Automatic troubleshoothers/diagnostics programs do not work, ignore them. Windows, and those tools, are notorious for spouting out useless information. For example, if you ran a registry cleaner on a fresh install of Windows, it WOULD find problems. All of which are nothing.

If you ran a "pc optimizer" tool, it WOULD fine "problems" just to get you to buy it. You're taking the advice of three people, its always best to stick with one or you're going to get differing opinions.

I believe you're running Windows XP based on what you've described. You can confirm this by going to start > control panel, and double click System. If you don't see system, click "Switch to classic view" on the top left, then double click system. It'll say at the top.

For XP, besides the previous guide I gave you (msconfig), system defrag should be done often (start > all programs > accessories > system tools > disk defragmenter). Then highlight your drive, click defrag (takes awhile if it hasn't been done).

Those are really the only two things you can do to breath life into an XP machine.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK J In my programs I have 4 Tool Bars so tell me which one to keep and I'll uninstall the rest ..Support.com toolbar-Ask.com..Microsoft live Search Toolbar--AVG Toolbar,,and Hardware Diag by PC Doctor..Also --tell me how to take it from programs to start menu..Then you can get paid and thanks..

Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
You for sure don't need ANY of them.

But none of those are Dad's Fun. I can't even find a reference to the program online. Anyway, each toolbar loaded into IE is going to slow down the startup and usage of IE. Keep that in mind. AVG will still scan without its toolbar loaded, so removing it won't make much of a difference.

Dad's fun may be loaded on startup, in the msconfig.

I would say clear them all (you can renable them after) if you want. It should not affect your favorites, as those are loaded inside of IE to begin with.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great Answers..Maybe my computer wont be so slow now..Thanks J.
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
No problem. You can still follow up with me anytime if you need anything further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey J my arrow wont let me click on accept rate
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
Probably a bug on our end. Try once more, if it doesn't work I'll contact the moderators

jnayes, Computer Support
Experience: Network Administrator
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
TO Jnayes;; Need to get this HP software running.Cant run health analysis or tune up because system is stuck on checking updates..Have no optical drives,flash media,accelerometer says not installed,,system errors says no DNS..I was running Windows XP service Pack II,and they updated me to 3 last week..Plus I have moxilla in my bottom tray and ICON on my screen so, I guess its running..What I want to do is DELETE EVERYTHING IN PROGRAMS and start all over..I ran HP Recovery Manager like the system says to do and that didn" work..
==

Dear Sir;; Your HP Advisor is not running..Going through the system I found that your system says I'm running Windows 7..I was running Windows xp Service II and was updated to III last week..I had a virus called searchcore and froze my system and could not go on internet (explorer 9) I found the following--optical drives not found--flash media not found-accelerometer not installed--system errors page not found DNS..I ran Recovery Manager which is suppose to restore your computer but ran for 2HRS--Nothing..Cant restore without drives can you???? This is what I want to do--Go to programs and DELETE everything of HP..If you agree with this I want to know what programs to delete..After you list each program then give something to download a TOTALLY NEW HP SYSTEM..BROWSER ,KEYBOARD< MONITOR ,,EVERYTHING..OK ???

Optional Information:
Make: compaq pesario
Model: cq4010f pc

Already Tried:
Had a searchcore virus..called teck in las vegas--restored to factory..Running Wxp2,was updated to three last week..ststem says no optical drivers,,no accelerometer,no flash media,,system errors says page not found dns..Ran Recovery Mnager..ZERO..WANT TO uninstall HP and reinstall new HP--Want you to list all programs so I dont miss any..Then site to download new system..Will this change my programs I saved in FAVORITES//

Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
If you're looking to do a full recovery, you're going to need to back up your personal files first.

Are you able to do this?

Do you have recovery discs? (regardless if your cd/dvd drive isn't working, that's likely a different issue)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont think I have any personel files..I red newsmax..entertainment weekly,barrons,check out stocks,read my g-mail,and have four websites in favorites..I dont see anything I need to keep J. Any way anything I cant get back.. I clicked on mozilla and says not your default browser..Does that mean its not working and will I lose it or malware to reinstall HP..Will I lose any programs to reinstall HP..OH by the way I checked BOA and your bill was processing saturday but cleared monday.Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Jnayes I'm waiting on my response. Read my last response.. Do I click on mozilla as default browser?? What will it change?? Will I lose any programs like mozilla or malware??
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
You opted me out earlier which is why you didn't receive a response. I'm also not here 24/7, please keep that in mind.

You will not lose any programs making firefox your default browser, it will just because your default internet browser.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I did not opt you out..I got another teck and opted them out and told them I would wait on you and have been trying to restablish contact by e-mailing you three times..Does that sound like I opted you out.I called this Black Support and she said you were off line so I said does Jnayes work for you and she said yes..Then I got your e-mail..Lets get back to my problem..Lets uninstall HP which wont harm any of my files or permanent programs and re-install.. OK..Shouldn' that also reinstall the drivers and everything else ???
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
Emailing me directly never reaches me. Whether it was intentional or not, the system opted me out (could only read what you wrote, no response possible).

Not sure about black support either but *shrug*.

If you run the HP recovery, it will wipe everything back to as if you first got it. I don't really consider that a resolution.

Now, if you mean just get rid of HP's bloatware, yes, that's totally harmless. If you have an HP printer, try to skip uninstalling that though. Anyway, go to start, control panel. In the add/remove programs (or programs and features) list. Start uninstalling one at a time HP advisor and whatever other useless software is listed there that Hp put on, or you don't use.

Then, as for the optical drive, you can run this tool to repair it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Its actually a pretty common issue with Windows to lose the cd/dvd rom driver, thus why this fix it tool was released.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I'll uninstall everything that says HP. I'm not sure how many other programs are HP but here we go and then I'll run the tool..I put this in my favorites..
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good, hopefully I'll be stationary soon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey J --I just uninstalled all that HP stuff and had about 30 games in here,but Windows could not uninstall HP support info or HP odometer..I think I'm going to leave my computer just like it is because I'll clean my disk and defrag and should run alot faster..If you have a tool to take out those last two programs that would be great..This computer is almost 3 years old and out of warranty anyway..What do you think?? Also your bill from friday processed on my bank monday ..Thanks for all your proffesional help..
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
You can try

http://revouninstaller.com

The free tool (30 day trial) is suffecient. Can do a "safe" or "moderate" removal if necessary.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That revo uninstaller never showed HP in the programs to delete HP is still in programs..I uninstalled everything dated the 18th and I have this stupid piece of toast stuck on my screen so I'll have to restore my system to earlier time to get rid of it.Plus when I click on explorer I get Bleeko instead of google..Unless you know a program..
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
Bleeko is either your home page, or your default search engine. Its not dangerous.

No idea what the toast is, but I doubt it'll require a system restore.

The above is the guide I gave you previously, clear the startup items, NOT the services and that should fix the "toast" thing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This piece of toast is even on this e-mail page that I'm typing to you.That happened when I downloaded REVO and even after uninstalling those programs its still here..Any way I'll use the link to clear up the toast and that should do it.
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
Let me know after if its still there, if it is, let me know its location on the screen. Give me your best detailed description of it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its gone so no more problems..Going to clean disk and defrag. Thanks J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey J --cant click on accept rate
Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
Try now.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got the toast off ,,cleaned disk and defraged,no HP But seems to take a long time pulling up your site Jay..Iclicked on love it --accept answer says I have to pay additional amount..My neighbor over slept so I ran him to work..E-MAIL ME JAY and lets finish up..

Expert:  jnayes replied 2 years ago.
You paid once a week ago. So anything on top is up to you. No big deal either way.