Bernie
Bernie, Software Support
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

in system recovery mode(windows 7) and wont stop running?

Customer Question

in system recovery mode(windows 7) and won't stop running? restarts - goes to windows error recovery screen, starts windows screen and detects a program and starts all over -- ??? HELP?
Category: Software
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.

What is the model of your computer?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

dell optiplex 360

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Lets take these steps:

Turn off the computer, and disconnect the power cable from it. Then disconnect all devices from the computer (USB cables for the mouse/keyboard, printer for example). Wait a few minutes, then press and hold the power button for 60 seconds and release it. Proceed to reconnect the power cable and monitor only, and turn the computer back on.

Does it boot up ok now? Let me know if that clears it up, if not, don't press Accept yet and we will try some other steps, just post back here first, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
going to turn off computer now and try what you said if I can't get back on will reply to you from my bb -- but I can't read your answers from bb so... if you don't hear back from me the system is really screwed up.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

DIdn't work

went to dell logo screen - auto adjust - I went into safe mode with networking so I could reply.

Now I can't print either. Windows can' open add printers local prin spooler service is not running -- restart spooler?

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see, the print spooler will not work in safe mode, however, if you are able to get into safe mode, we can try this:

Click the Windows Start button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Follow the prompts to pick a restore date and time before your issue occured. You may need to check the show more restore points box to see more dates to pick. Make sure it says system restore successfully completed after it restarts your computer (let me know if it doesn't), then check if the issue is still there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I DID that prior to contacting you all. It went into a do-loop. It kept trying to restore and couldn't. I went to Feb 19th -- should I try earlier date?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
When you use the system restore, does it actually say it successfully completed at the end, or that the system restore failed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it just keeps repeating it self -- I think I did see it say it successfully completed but it keeps restarting?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok I see, lets try these next steps while you are in safe mode:

Press the Windows Start button > In the box type cmd, then from the results that show right click cmd and select run as administrator >

Type sfc /scannow (With a space in between both sfc and /scannow) > Press enter > Windows will repair your Operating system files

Let me know what it says at the end of the scan, it may take a while
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. details in cbs.log

??

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
This means your Windows is corrupted, most likely by some infection, please restart and get back into safe mode, and run the sfc scan again, and then let me know what it says.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
safe mode with networking, right?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Yes, sorry - safe mode with networking so you can get back to me, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same response
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
What happens when you try to restart the computer and log back in normally, does it still go in the loop?

(Also, can you try last known good configuration at the advanced boot page that shows safe mode)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Let me try to restart normal again - I think it just crashes with lots of words on screen.

I don't understand what you mean in ()

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks

On the second part, that's one of the options on the advanced boot menu where you chose safe mode with networking:

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got it normal but couldnt access you via your links or go to the internet. I thought I sent you email responses. Very slow and something is infected for sure. Had to turn power off to get out - back in safe mode now -- will try your other option but getting tired!!
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX other option does not work, there is one more thing you can try:

In safe mode with networking go to www.malwarebytes.org > At the top of that page, go to products > Free Antimalwarebytes

Download the Free version > Install and open the program, press start trial, and pick full scan > Once it's finished, click ok > Click show results

Check all the boxes shown > Press the remove selected button to remove any infections, then you should be all set to restart in normal mode and use the computer again.

If not, you will need to backup any important files and reinstall Windows completely, as Windows is damaged and that would be the only way to fix it, please let me know if it comes to this and I will show you how to do this step by step.

Thanks,
Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still running full scan of malware -- hasn't found anything yet?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok, it may take a while, once it is done, please let me know. You can also log off and post back anytime tomorrow if needed -

To make sure you can return to me, please favorite or bookmark this page, or use this web address (write it down): http://is.gd/xAzZHd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks! It is showing 4 items detected right now so hopefully this software can take care of problem. Not sure I can make it through full scan. Need to be up at 5:30am
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I understand, you can post back anytime, please keep me updated

Thanks,
Bernie
Bernie, Software Support
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
malware didn't help!!! There must be something else vs reinstalling windows?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I see, there is one more thing:

(1) Power off and then turn on the computer, and as soon as it starts booting up again, immediately start tapping F8 until you come to the advanced boot menu

(2) From there, select Repair your Computer > Click Next > Select the Repair your Computer button

(3) If it asks, pick your language and keyboard input method > Choose your user account, type your password if you have one and press ok

(4) If it tries to, let it scan and try to repair your issue automatically

However, if that doesn't work, and unless you have the Windows 7 oem cd on hand...whichever infections were on the computer damaged the Windows core files and the only way to get Windows working correctly is to reinstall it, please let me know the make and model of the computer and I can give the directions you need to do this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still no luck! Am looking for an advanced recovery tool?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Repair your computer is this option:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

That will scan the computer and try to fix it, however if it brings you to a recovery tools page instead:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

That is only helpful if you made a previous backup image of Windows, otherwise we have already used system restore. Please let me know the make of the computer when you have a chance.

Thank you