syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified, Linux, 20 years experience
13852270

Hyperlinks are showing up on my web pages which shouldnt be

Hyperlinks are showing up on my web pages which shouldn't be there. I've updated and run several antivirus and malware programs without success. Can you help and what will it cost?
Category: Software
Expert:  syseng replied 4 years ago.

My name is David.

Reboot the computer then press and hold the F8 key before the Windows logo appears and select the Safe Mode with Networking option in the menu that appears. Then login and run the antivirus scans again. Since many services are disabled except those absolutely necessary in Safe Mode, the antivirus software is more likely to find malware if any still exists on the computer. Then delete any malware found and reboot the computer.

Then if your web browser is Internet Explorer open IE and click Tools, Internet Options, then the Advanced tab and click Reset then click Reset again and restart Internet Explorer and then test to see if the issue has been resolved.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
For Syseng -- the suggested fix did not help. I tried but the Reply Button didn't work either so I could not share my status. I am still having a problem with hyperlinks showing up on various websites, hyperlinks which obviously should not be there. After rebooting in Safe Mode, the problem seemed better for a few hours but then the returned. I'm still working on the problem, including rebooting in Safe Mode, then running various anti-malware and anti-virus programs. But none has solved the problem yet. I'm open to further suggestions but in the meantime I will continue this approach for a bit longer. Again, I would have replied to Syseng but the email button wouldn't work.
Expert:  syseng replied 4 years ago.
Hello - this is Syseng.

Next open IE and click the Tools menu then click Delete Browsing History then select only the Temporary Internet Files box and clear the rest of the boxes then click Delete.

Then click the link below and download then install the free version of Malwarebytes.

click here

Then reboot into Safe Mode and run a full scan using Malwarebytes, delete any malware found then reboot into Safe Mode again and perform a System Restore to roll back the computer configuration to a previous working state. Click the Windows Start button then All Programs, then Accessories then System Restore. Click Next and then click a restore point dated prior to when the issue first occurred and click Next. Confirm the System Restore and the restore will be applied and the computer will reboot. Then retest to see if the issue is resolved.

Note that System Restore is reversible and does not impact your personal files.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not willing to do a system restore at this point as they have often caused me grief in the past. Do you have any other ideas for solving this problem? Would another expert have any further ideas?

Here's a sample of the hyperlink problem which has resurfaced in the letter you most recently sent me!! You'll note that the words "free" and "confirm" are highlighted. These are hyperlinks in the original letter. And there were others.

I have run full scans by the latest version of Malwarebytes, the Microsoft Essentials anti-viral program, PC Pitstop and others without success. What do you think has caused the problem?

Thank you.

_____________________________

Hello - this is Syseng.

click here

Expert:  syseng replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for posting that information. It appears that hyperlinks are generated by a program called Text-Enhance. So next click the on the link below then click the Opt-out link on the web page that appears and let me know if the problem is resolved.

click here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have "successfully opted out" but the hyperlinks are still showing up -- now also in my personal website. Somehow the OPT OUT option is not taking.

Expert:  syseng replied 4 years ago.
Ok well that is typical of online marketing companies.

In IE click the Tools menu then Manage Addons then disable all addons and restart IE and let me know if the hyperlinks still appear.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I could not find a "disable all addons" on IE. I deleted some with no change. Anyway, I use Firefox -- but could not find any disable option there.
Expert:  syseng replied 4 years ago.
Ok then in Firefox click the Tools menu then Add-ons. Then click Plug-ins and select Remove by the Vuze plug-in and then restart Firefox and test.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I could not find a Vuze plug-in in Firefox.
Expert:  syseng replied 4 years ago.
What plug-ins are listed? Or disable all of them and then shutdown and restart Firefox and test to see if the issue is resolved.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All of them were already "disabled."
Expert:  syseng replied 4 years ago.
Ok then click the Windows Start button then click Control Panel then Programs or Programs and Features then look for the Vuze or Face Theme or Better Links and uninstall the program then reboot and retest.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That sounded like a good solution! Unfortunately none of those programs were listed.
Expert:  syseng replied 4 years ago.
The Text Enhance software has several different names including the names I have already mentioned. Is there any other software in the list that you do not recognize?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There was one software program called "I want this" which I have removed. I am now waiting to see if that has solved the problem. If it has I will return to this page and click Accept Answer. You'll have to be patient as the problem cleared temporarily once before.
Expert:  syseng replied 4 years ago.
Very good. And yes, please test to confirm it resolves the issue before clicking the Accept. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The problem seems to be resolved. If I press the Accept Answer now and the problem returns in within a week or so, what payment will be required?

The service seems to have worked out. I am only unhappy that you suggested I do a system restore so quickly in the process, before trying several other approaches, one of which worked. I am also unhappy that the most recent email I received was a form letter that didn't apply to my situation (although there was an added comment that was appropriate). Anyway, thanks for your help. I'll click the Accept Answer depending on what I hear back from you.

Expert:  syseng replied 4 years ago.
Very good. Glad it is now working Smile

The Just Answer system generates those form letters. I will forward your feedback to customer service regarding that issue.

I recommended the system restore early because it is a quick way to resolve the issue and it is also reversible. I would probably recommend reversing the system restore but since the issue is fixed it is better to leave as is as long as everything is working.

If the issue shows up again after a week please response here and let me know so I can help you continue and find a permanent solution.

Thank you for your patience in working this through to resolution.