Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Support
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My son deleted my chat history in skype. I can still see the

Customer Question

My son deleted my chat history in skype. I can still see the chatsync files there. Can i restore or get access to them and if so how? I have windows xp.
Category: Software
Expert:  Frederick S replied 5 years ago.
Hi

Happy to help

It's possible if you copy it to a new computer and you can view them there:

http://www.thingswelovetohate.com/2009/06/how-to-restore-skype-chat-history.html

However, that isn't guaranteed. If those files are missing or deleted, as well, then there is absolutely no way to recover them since they have already been erased from the Skype network.

FS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Frederick,

I dont think I need to get the old skype logs as the logs are still there. But the history was deleted online from skype.

I have already tried copying the files to user on the same computer. The problem is that the clear history action was used which means you cannot view the old chat history when you log into skype under the new user.

I think I need software to look at the chatsync dat and the dbb files outside of skype. Do you have information on this please. I used prettymay but does not provide details.

If I look at the chat files with some software I can see the time and who but not the details of the voicemail/audio etc.

Can you help with other software.

thanks

I thought you were trying to recover the chat history. Was that not the case?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Frederick,

Can you please explain how copying files to another computer will recover chat history to skype, when the Clear History was used to delete the history. The skype help says that it cannot be recovered into skype once cleared.

However, the fact that the chatsync files are still there in the skype directory, can you help with other software that can read the chatsync dat files and the dbb files directly, as I don't think I can restore chat history into skype once it has been cleared.

thanks

Gillian

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
I think Frederick may have misunderstood and thought you wanted to get logs of who was contacted not the chats themselves. Unfortunately if the chat history is deleted there is no way to get them back, the files you have could get the logs but wont get any chat history.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that not all issues can be fixed online due to reasons out of the experts control.

The steps you were given may have confirmed the only solution is repair.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Freddy,

So what you are saying is that if the clear history is used in skype, the chat information itself has been physically deleted and cannot be recovered. The only information that is available is the call time, duration and who was on the call.

What about for example sites that indicate with software you can recover, eg

http://www.softwaregeek.com/recover-deleted-skype-chat-history/p1.html or

http://www.2000shareware.com/downloads/recover/deleted/skype/chat/history/

Thanks

Gillian

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately none of those software's will work for this and yes unfortunately it can not be recovered. The software in the links you sent are all un-delete software which will recover deleted files. They will not be able to recover chat history within Skype but if you deleted a word document for example and emptied the recycle bin for a little while they can get that back.

Freddy M., Computer Support
Experience: Years of experience