Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Install, Update, troubleshoot and remove all types of software

There was a problem connecting to TPM (security device)

Customer Question

on my ThinkPad Lenovo running XP Professional I get the following error: "There was a problem connecting to TPM (security device) on this computer"

Q:  How long do I wait for a response (minutes, hours, days)?

Category: Software
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 4 years ago.

Quiksilver07070 :

Are you still in need of assistance?

Quiksilver07070 :

Try looking in the bios for a TPM option that will allow you to turn it off, since apparently Lenovo didn't put one in that line of computers.

Quiksilver07070 :

Can you make sure that you have the current Trusted Platform Module (TPM) driver installed as well?

The driver is available at the following URL:

Quiksilver07070 :

This error occurs on systems that originally had Windows Vista installed but were downgraded to Windows XP. Windows Vista initializes the security device (TPM) in a way that is not compatible with Windows XP. Once Windows Vista has initialized the TPM, Windows XP cannot use the TPM until it has been cleared from the BIOS setup.

To clear the TPM from the BIOS, do the following:

1. Turn the computer off.
  2. Turn the computer on and press F1 to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. From the Security menu, locate the option to clear the security device. Sometimes it is referred to as the TPM or TCG feature.
  4. Save and exit the BIOS setup menu.
  5. Restart Windows and enroll in Client Security Solution.

JACUSTOMER-dgkq7mrv- :

This solution doesn't appear to be valid? I shut down the laptop and then started it again - pressing F1 and accessed the BIOS settings - but nowhere was there an option to clear the security device / TPM / TCG?

you could have a virus. use combo fix and scan for viruses. then use malwarebytes to scan for malware. after you run a virus scans,and you still have the same problem. use a restore point within windows. you can do a quick google search on the windows xp restore point and it will tell you step by step instructions.