elby79
elby79, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 10 years experience providing support for multiple applications.
62649429

Hi,How do I get rid of"WELCOME TO NGINX, and error 404 error"?

Hi,How do I get rid of"WELCOME TO NGINX, and error 404 error"? I was told it was a trojan, but it does not show up in my scan. Thanks
Category: Software
Expert:  elby79 replied 2 years ago.

elby79 :

Hi thanks for choosing just answer. Nginx (Engine X) is an open source web server and reverse proxy server. Many websites use it, for example Facebook.The "Welcome to Nginx!" message means that something has gone awry on the server side. It's a glitch. Nothing you can do anything about other than maybe clearing your cache and restarting your browser. Error 404 typically means that server is down. Can you answer a couple of questions for me 1. Do you get these errors when going to a specific site? 2. Do you know how to clear your browser cache? If you know how to clear the cache please do that, reboot and try the site again. If you don't know how to clear cache, what browser are you using?

Customer:

It happens on ebay,etsy. No,I don't know how to clear the cache

Customer:

Using internet explorer-sorry

elby79 :

No worries that is why I'm here. In internet explorer go to the tools dropdown then select internet options on the general screen you will see a button to clear history. Keep in mind this will clear out sites that are currently listed in your drop down menu, saved passwords and cookies. You will still have your favorites. Once you've done this reboot your PC and try the sites again.

Customer:

NGINX message still there

Customer:

Hi,still have the NGINX message there. What can I do please? I have a beading company,and use ebay and etsy alot. I need to get into these websites.

elby79 :

Ok, it does seem this is caused by malware. There is a free tool called malwarebytes that can be found here http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html. If you have not tried this yet, download and run it.

Customer:

Tried it . Anything else you can think of?

Customer:

You know,I realized I had a different malware tool. So,I deleted that and used your's and it seems to be working. Thanks

Customer:

Malewarebytes said I still had some stuff left, and did I want to buy it to fix the rest. I have put out over $100.00 on trying to fix this today. If I don't buy the tool now,do you have any idea if the nignx issue is likely to comeback? Thanks.

elby79 :

It should not come back as long as you have up to date antivirus software running on your PC. You should run malwarebytes every now just to be safe.

Customer:

Thank you very much

Customer:

Bye

Customer:

I tried to accept, but it said you weren't done answering yet. Let me know when I can "accept" please.

elby79 :

You can accept now, thanks!

Customer:

When I try to accept,still says you aren't done, and won't let me accept.

elby79 :

My apologies. I did check that button to make sure you didn't accept until you were satisfied and it didn't remove it last time please try again.

elby79, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 10 years experience providing support for multiple applications.