Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Having worked with computers for over 25 years, starting back with DOS programs, I've used most everything.
59162784

How do I remove BT Yahoo! Online Protection from my computer.

How do I remove BT Yahoo! Online Protection from my computer. It's blocking installation of another security program. I used to have Yahoo Protection through AT&T, but no longer have AT&T. I cannot see BT Yahoo! Online Protection on my computer, techs have tried using third party uninstallers, no success. Help!
Category: Software
Expert:  nimman replied 2 years ago.

Nimman :

Hello there, Thanks for using Justanswer

Nimman :

Are you using Windows XP ?

Customer :

Yes

Nimman :

Which Third party software you tried for uninstalling this ?

Customer :

Revo, CCleaner. Tech tried. Neither could find/remove.

Nimman :

Do you have CCleaner installed on your computer ?

Customer :

Hello, yes I have Ccleaner

Customer :

Computer has slowed down dramatically.

Customer :

Are you there?

Nimman :

Wait a minute , I will provide a link now

Customer :

OK

Nimman :

CLICK HERE

Nimman :

Click the above link

Nimman :

Download the file, Save it on your desktop

Customer :

OK, what do I click on the Norton Removal Tool?

Nimman :

Yes.

Nimman :

Run it if you finished downloading

Customer :

I have tried Norton Removal tool before. I hope this on is different

Nimman :

Ok. Try this , Let me know

Customer :

I can't locate the tool download button

Nimman :

Go to that link and click External Mirror 1

Customer :

OK I'm running removal tool. But, as I say, I did try Norton Removal tool before with no success. PLus, the computer needs to be rebooted, per instructions. How do we continue our chat?

Nimman :

Bookmark this page, Use the bookmark to come back to this page

Customer :

OK, bookmarked. After rebooting, I'll need to attempt McAfee installation again

Nimman :

Yes, Let me know what happens

Customer :

Tool still working....How can I save this chat log

Nimman :

You can come back this page and see the full conversation

Customer :

OK

Nimman :

Before you restart let me ask some thing

Nimman :

Open My Computer> C Drive> Program Files> and check if you see a folder named Yahoo .

Customer :

OK

Customer :

NO, I may have deleted

Customer :

Shall I reboot now?

Nimman :

Wait a minute .

Nimman :

Open CCleaner

Nimman :

Click Tools

Nimman :

Go to Startup

Nimman :

Check if you see any Yahoo or Norton Applications there

Customer :

I see Yahoo Messenger, but it is not enabled.

Nimman :

Nothing else?

Customer :

No that's the only one that says Yahoo or Norton. Shall I delete it?

Nimman :

Can you see save to text file button ?

Nimman :

Save it on desktop

Customer :

yes

Nimman :

Save that text file on desktop

Nimman :

Then click the Uninstall button , Click Save to text file. Save the file on desktop

Nimman :

After that go to http://wikisend.com/

Customer :

test file saved. Uninstall on the yahoo messenger

Nimman :

Upload both files and send me the link

Customer :

Uninstall on the yahoo messenger?

Nimman :

It is not necessary

Customer :

What did you mean when you said "click on the uninstall button?

Nimman :

In the CCleaner , On the Tools menu, Can you see Uninstall , Above Startup ?

Customer :

yes

Nimman :

Click on that and Save to text file .

Customer :

OK, I now have two text files on my desktop

Nimman :

Click the above link . Upload the files there

Nimman :

And send me the link

Customer :

I have tried, Did it work?

Nimman :

Uploaded ?

Customer :

Yes I think so

Nimman :

Can you see a download link ?

Customer :

Yes, there are two tabs, Upload and Download

Nimman :

Under the Upload , Select Choose file.

Nimman :

Select the text file you saved before

Nimman :

Then click Upload button

Customer :

OK I just did that with "install.txt"

Nimman :

Then you will see Download link : then a box with some link

Nimman :

Copy that and Paste it here

Customer :

http://wikisend.com/download/783380/install.txt

Nimman :

Do the same on Startup.txt

Customer :

http://wikisend.com/download/727452/startup.txt

Nimman :

Ok, Restart the computer now

Customer :

ok

Customer :

OK, restarted, McAfee installation resumed, failed.

Nimman :

Ok. Wait let me check those text files

Nimman :

What error do you get while installing it ?

Customer :

We found one or more programs on your Pc that might interfere with the McAfee feature you want to add;

Customer :

Bt Yahoo! Online Protection is listed as the program.

Nimman :

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del

Nimman :

Open task manager

Nimman :

Go to Process tab

Customer :

ok, there

Nimman :

Check if any process link Bt Yahoo or Norton is running there

Customer :

Don't see any

Nimman :

Which Process takes most memory ?

Customer :

Firefor.exe, SVChost.exe (there are two of these), regcure.ese

Nimman :

Ok . Open CCleaner again

Customer :

ok

Nimman :

Click On Registry

Nimman :

Click Scan for Issues

Customer :

ok

Nimman :

After scanning click Fix selected issues

Nimman :

Fix all

Customer :

Ok scan is 50% done, will fix all when done

Nimman :

Ok.

Customer :

Done, only buttom saysFix selected issues, click that?

Nimman :

Yes

Customer :

Message asks do I want to backup changes in the registry?

Nimman :

Yes, Backup . Save the file on your computer

Customer :

Ok it's done, for each it ask "fix issue" so I clicked fix all. Is that the right thing to do?

Nimman :

Yes .

Nimman :

Reboot after finishing it

Customer :

ok rebooting

Customer :

Ok, rebooted, McAfee installation resumed, failed.

Nimman :

Ok . Now try installing Mcafee in Safemode

Nimman :

Restart the computer, Tap the F8 button until you get the boot selection menu.

Customer :

How di get to safe mode

Nimman :

Select safe mode with networking

Nimman :

See the step above

Customer :

ok

Customer :

Hello, Safe mode installation did not work, installation just hung....

Nimman :

I am sorry, I am out of ideas

Customer :

OK, sorry too, this will then cost me nothing?

Nimman :

I will opt out this question so that other experts can help you .

Nimman :

Nimman :

Otherwise you can ask for a refund

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you with this problem.

I would suggest trying the Revo Uninstaller. It seems to locate files and programs that the regular Windows uninstaller misses. You can find it here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Please let me know how it turns out for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have downloaded REvo. How does it delete stuff that does not show up in the list?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
BT Yahoo is installed along with McAfee. I personally would recommend uninstalling McAfee, and Norton together, then do a full virus scan following these instructions:

Download TDSSKILLER from Kaspersky Labs at http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280684

Install it, set all of the preferences to checked, and let it scan. DELETE all infected files and reboot.

Download MalwareBytes from http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (you only need the free version)

Install it, do the update (VERY IMPORTANT!), then do a FULL scan. It will default to Quick Scan, change it to Full!

The full scan can take a bit of time, possibly 2-3 hours. After the scan is done DELETE all infected files and reboot.

And finally re-installing ONLY Norton (if you paid for it). Or Microsoft Security Essentials which you can download and install for free.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Friend,
You say "BT Yahoo is installed along with McAfee." What do you mean by that? Are you saying BT Yahoo is a McAfee product, not a Norton/Symantec product?

As for your other instructions, what is TDSKILLER supposed to do?
Malwarebytes is a program I used to have on this computer. I had to uninstall it because the McAfee installation originally targeted that, as wall as BT Yahoo, as blocking the McAfee installation.

I did not use either TDSKILLER or Malwarebytes yet. I have downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials, and it's now scanning. If that works and protects the computer, I'll accept, even though nobody has been able to tell me how to remove BT Yahoo! Online Protection.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
TDSSKILLER is a Rootkit eliminator, it finds things that even MalwareBytes does not find. MalwareBytes is a VERY good Malware remover and can run alongside Microsoft Security Eseentials just fine. I highly recommend running all 3 or you may not eliminate all of your problems. BT Yahoo used to be insatlled along with McAfee, then it got changed to install with Norton. I don't know why. In any case, it uses resources and it is not needed. Once you run all of the 3 I recommended, Try Revo again to see if BT Yahoo is found and can be uninstalled.
Another thing you can try is the BT uninstaller, if you haven't already. Go to this link: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13994/~/how-to-replace-your-old-bt-yahoo!-browser and look down the page that for a link that says "Click here for a file you can use to uninstall your BT Yahoo! browser automatically." Click and run that program that is downloaded.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Friend,

I'll bet that's it YBRT.exe. I'll try it and report back.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried it, but it said it "Yahoo browser could not be found on your system."

I installed Microsoft Security Eseentials. Then I uninstalled all McAfee, using their removal tool, MCPR.exe (McAfee Consumer Product Removal). Then I ran the YBRT.exe and got the above result. I then again tried installing McAfee, it still saw BT Yahoo! Online Protection, but not Microsoft Security Eseentials.

I don't know what McAfee installation is seeing, but I do not trust its eyesight. For steering me into Microsoft Security Eseentials, I'll click satisifed. Is it as good as McAfee or Norton, is it better?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I believe Security Essentials is better. And to be doubly safe, run MalwareBytes about once a week or so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks for your help. Please confirm that when I click "I'm satisfied" I will be charged $38 and that will be the only charge. Thanks.
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
The billing is not up to me. But it will not charge more than you originally agreed upon.
Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Having worked with computers for over 25 years, starting back with DOS programs, I've used most everything.