How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 11580
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Am being told that I have been overpaid by social security

Customer Question

am being told that I have been overpaid by social security in the amount of $50,000 and am trying to find someone who can represent me or advise me on wavering this as it was not my fault .
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was receiving widows benefits which i started in 2013 while I was working full time at Ohio state University medical Center. SS. knew I was working there when I applied and never offset my benefits. I was under the impression that because I was not in OPERS that it was not to be offset. When I retired on full sdisability thru a UNUM a private disability they said I was overpaid and it all should have been offset . I am confused and trying to waiver the $50,00 and need help.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I just don't know what else to do. I have money in my retirement but that's all the money I have live in.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Please cancel this!!!!!
Expert:  Lane replied 9 days ago.

If you agree that you have been overpaid and are willing to pay it back, but cannot afford to pay it back at the rate we tell you about in our letter, you should file Form SSA-632, Request for Waiver of Overpayment Recovery Or Change In Repayment Rate.

If you agree that you have been overpaid, but you feel you should not have to pay it back because you did not cause the overpayment and you cannot afford to repay it, you should file Form SSA-632, Request for Waiver of Overpayment Recovery Or Change In Repayment Rate.

We will stop recovering the overpayment until we make a decision on your request.

Expert:  Lane replied 9 days ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!



I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.