Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Thanks, My house was broken into Friday the 12th, my safe

Customer Question

Thanks, My house was broken into Friday the 12th, my safe was taken out of the concrete floor, containing my and my husbands ss cards...need to report these stolen and see what to do to replace them.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't know? What do they need from me?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

The SSA typically will not change anything, although the OIG does recommend reporting it by calling(###) ###-#### That said, you will want to file a police report, noting that these were among the stolen items. You will also want to file fraud alerts with each of the 3 major credit bureaus which requires the police report and an affidavit, typically. The credit bureaus will provide you with the forms/check list for what they need. That done, when / if someone tries to get credit / loan under your SS#, the lender will have to take extra measures to ensure it is you or not you.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me with 5 stars when you are done. It costs nothing extra but tells company to give me credit for my assistance to you today. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!