Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I wanted to know if my mother can claim my deceased father's

Customer Question

I wanted to know if my mother can claim my deceased father's SS benefits. They were married for 14 years and then divorced. She married again, but only for a year and then divorced.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What other details can I give? Father worked for Proctor and Gamble for 20+ years, retired, and passed away in 2007
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: This is the gist of my questions
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer to your question.

A spouse can receive a survivor benefit (up to 100% of the ex spouse's benefit) based on an ex spouse if (1) she is at least age 60 years of age (age 50 if she is disabled) (2) is currently unmarried (or remarried after age 60) (3) was married for at least 10 years (she was for 14) and (4) her ex spouse was eligible for an SSA retirement benefit. Also understand that the survivor benefits does not stack with her normal retirement benefit, she can only receive the higher of the two benefits (or make an election to take one of the other). So to answer your question, yes she could be eligible for his benefit. See social security link to apply: https://www.ssa.gov/survivors/

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Did that completely answer your question?