Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I was wondering...I was married to a Nassau County Police

Customer Question

Hello, I was wondering...I was married to a Nassau County Police Detective for 19 1/2 years. We have been divorced and I have since married. Am I entitled any of his social security?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What else would you want to know?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I'm working, my ex-husband is retired collecting his pension. I am getting a small portion of his pension as well (the portion I was entitled to while I was married to him).
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Unfortunately no, the spousal benefit (50% of his benefit), is lost if you remarry. You would have been eligible if you were married for at least 10 years. You could be eligible for a survivor benefit if you did not remarry before age 60 (you would have to be deceased for this benefit). Because of your remarriage, you cannot take this benefit and will have to take it from your current spouse (you will only get the larger of the spousal benefit and your own retirement benefit, you do not get both).

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?