Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I do not have med insurance... i do collect social

Customer Question

i do not have med insurance... i do collect social security... just part "A". if i order part "B" will be covered under obama care
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: like what?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: i dont know what he needs
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

If you have Original Medicare (Part A and Part B), Medicare Part A only, you meet the Affordable Care Act requirement to have health insurance. However, if you are only enrolled in Medicare Part B, this does not satisfy Obamacare’s minimum essential coverage requirement. You may need to purchase a Medigap policy to supplement your coverage, or you may face a tax penalty. It will not be covered under obamacare and the cost will come out of your social security check although Medicaid may cover this. Per Medicare (SSA):

"The standard Part B premium amount in 2017 is $134 (or higher depending on your income). However, most people who get Social Security benefits pay less than this amount. This is because the Part B premium increased more than the cost-of-living increase for 2017 Social Security benefits. If you pay your Part B premium through your monthly Social Security benefit, you’ll pay less ($109 on average). Social Security will tell you the exact amount you'll pay for Part B in 2017. You'll pay the standard premium amount if:

• You enroll in Part B for the first time in 2017.
  • You don't get Social Security benefits.
  • You're directly billed for your Part B premiums.
  • You have Medicare and Medicaid, and Medicaid pays your premiums. (Your state will pay the standard premium amount of $134.)
  • Your modified adjusted gross income as reported on your IRS tax return from 2 years ago is above a certain amount. If so, you’ll pay the standard premium amount and an Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA). IRMAA is an extra charge added to your premium."

See link: https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs/part-b-costs.html

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?