Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

My mother had to open a new checking account, how do we

Customer Question

My mother had to open a new checking account, how do we notify Social security to change her direct deposit account?
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Am I supposed to wait here?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My mother has a new checking account #, how do I alert the SSA of this change?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. Pursuant to the SS Administration (https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3825/How-can-I-change-or-sign-up-for-direct-deposit-for-my-Social-Security-or-Supplemental-Security-Income-SSI-payments):

"How can I change or sign up for direct deposit for my Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments?

If you already receive benefits and you have a bank account, you can change or sign up for your direct deposit by:

• Setting up a my Social Security account and starting or changing your direct deposit online (Social Security benefits only);
  • Contacting your bank, credit union or savings and loan association; or
  • Calling Social Security at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****).

If you currently do not receive Social Security or SSI benefits, but plan to apply, sign up for direct deposit when you apply for benefits. Have your checkbook or a copy of your bank statement with you when you apply for benefits."

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars J). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!