Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

When a husband dies, does the widow inherit the

Customer Question

When a husband dies, does the widow inherit the benefits...she is 99 years old.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My sister, age 99, has just become a widow...does she collect his benefits?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will get you an answer drafted.

Yes, as long as she was married at least 9 months, she can collect a one time death benefit of $255 (she can ask for this when she applies for a survivor benefit or reports the death) and collect a survivor benefit. Understand that this benefit does not stack with her own social security benefit. She can only get the higher of the two benefits, so if her deceased spouse's benefit was larger than her own, she can switch over to his benefit,

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?