Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Presently 62 years can I apply for benefits and was I able

Customer Question

presently 62 years can I apply for benefits and was I able to at 60
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am 62 years old husband died 4/2016 can I apply for my benefits as
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: of age 60 and then transfer to his benefits--he was born 1952
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Have you applied for benefits at all yet? Are you planning to take the survivor benefit from your deceased husband or your own benefit?

If he was eligible for SS benefits and qualified in his own rights yes. You can begin to take a survivor benefit as early as age 60. It will be 100% of his benefit minus the early retirement penalty which will be about a 30% deduction at age 62. If his benefit is larger you can let it grow until full retirement age and take you own at age 62 (again a 30% decrease to your own benefit) or take the survivor benefit and let your own benefit grow. For your own benefit (this does not happen for the survivor benefit) you can even continue taking the survivor benefit until age 70 and earn 8% credits from ages 66-70 for not taking your own retirement benefit. Then you can switch to your own benefit at age 70 and have a 32% increase. Understand that these benefits do not stack, you can only receive the larger of the two benefits.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?