Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I have a question, I am 65. Can I apply for 1/2 of my wife's

Customer Question

I have a question
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am 65. Can I apply for 1/2 of my wife's pention now and receive it up until I am 70. And at 70 apply for my soc sec pention and stop receiving my wife's?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: My wife is 62 and shi is on disability.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 19 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

What you want to do is referred to as the "restricted benefit". Congress eliminated this loophole in recent legislation but it is still available to those who reach full retirement age (age 66 and 2 months in 2017) before 2020. This will be available to you but not until you reach full retirement age. You will need to file normally for your benefit but right in the memo section that you would like to restrict your benefit to ONLY the spousal benefit. You will then be able to take 50% of your spouse's benefit and let your own benefit grow 8% per year until age 70. That is a very good deal and it is why Congress eliminated this loophole. So no, you cannot apply for it now but can apply for it at full retirement age as long as you restrict your filing.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 18 days ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?