Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Do I need to have an appt with the SS office to reapply for

Customer Question

Do I need to have an appt with the SS office to reapply for my benefits to come to me rather than to the nursing home i was at for 2 months? Thje nursing home tells me I need to reapply!!!! Help!>
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I am living with my daughter at her home and am no ;longer in the nursing home.......
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

It is never a good idea to sign over the rights to your SS to a nursing home. You do not have to reapply and simply need to contact SS and have the account changed back to your account. You have a couple of options.

(1) Call SSA at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. (expect to be on hold for a significant amount of time)

(2) Contact your local Social Security office and go in person. Link: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

These are your benefits and you have control over them. Social Security has already been applied for and does not need to be applied again, you simply need to change your address and billing information. You could do it online with "my social security" (http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/) but I would want to confirm with Social Security that your check was no longer under the control of the Nursing home in person just to be safe.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?