Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I was out of the country 2011-2016 caring for my late

Customer Question

I was out of the country 2011-2016 caring for my late husband. I had continual health insurance while out of the country: it is still in effect but it is from the country I was residing. My husband passed away and I have returned to USA. I feel I should be exempt from a Part B penalth. Please advise?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Yes, I am now single and only getting Social Security benefits; would I be able to get help with Medicare Insurance?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here.

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

...

Bear with me a minute while I pull up the evidence of coverage form for you

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

You can sign up for Part B without a penalty any time you have health coverage based on current employment. (COBRA and retiree health coverage don't count as current employer coverage.)

...

Was your coverage based on employment?

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Yes, see this:

...

You can get a Special Enrollment Period to sign up for Parts A and/or B:

• Any time you are still covered by the employer or union group health plan through you or your spouse’s current or active employment, OR
  • During the 8 months following the month the employer or union group health plan coverage ends, or when the employment ends (whichever is first).

.

...

If your coverage is indeed employee, or spouse of employee coverage, you need to get documentation to show that you are currently covered OR that you are within the 8 month window.

...

You should call the national call center and set an appointment to go into your local office to show the documentation.

...

If you just walk in - if your closest office is typical - you may end up waiting all day only to come away with an appointment for another day.

...

I hope this helps

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the work here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents since 1986.