Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

My wife passed away on 12/1/16. Normally, we receive our

Customer Question

My wife passed away on 12/1/16. Normally , we receive our social security checks on the third Wednesday of the month. However, I did not receive any SS funds on 12/21 or any other date in December. When will I receive these social security checks?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 13 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Are you asking about receiving your deceased wife's SS check or your own? Have you notified SSA of her death (or has someone else)?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have notified SS of her death. I have been told that I would receive the SS payments for both of us for the month of December. However, I have not received either SS check and want to know when I will receive them.

First, I am sorry for your loss. As for your check, there should not have been a problem with it. It is not affected by her death unless you wanted to take the survivor benefit (if her SS benefit was higher than your own). These benefits do not stack. If you have not received your check, then you need to call Social Security at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****) or visit or local social security office (the 800 number usually has a very long wait time). As for your deceased wife's check, you will have to pay back that check if you receive anything in January as it would be a check that was "earned" after her death, but since she died on December 1, that check shoudl have been payable to you as it was the check for November. From the SSA site:

"If A Beneficiary Dies

Let us know if a person receiving Social Security benefits dies. Benefits are not payable for the month of death. That means if the person died any time in July, for example, the check received in August (which is payment for July) must be returned. If direct deposit is used, also notify the financial institution of the death as soon as possible so it can return any payments received after death."

Check with your bank to see if your bank account information changed (a joint account was closed that the SS check was paid into for example). If there was nothing like this then you will need to call the 800 number or go into your local SSA branch (this ill probably be quicker and more effective). You should have received these checks.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 12 days ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 days ago.