Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

D away on january 21 2016. I reported this to s.s. I have

Customer Question

d away on january 21 2016. I reported this to s.s. I have not received his ss payment. Can you help
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: When he passed i reported that to ss. I was supposed to receive his ss dollar amount,but never did.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

Unfortunately, reporting a death, in and of itself, will not be actually "applying" for survivor benefits. That requires filing an application for that benefit and providing certified copies of death certificate, marriage certificate (if this was your spouse), your birth certificate, etc. Now, if you did appear in person and presented these, and forgot to mention, then there IS something wrong (such as SSA lost your application) and you will want to bring down their proof of the fact that you applied, such as your receipt, a confirming letter from SSA, etc. If you didn't apply after all, you want to get down there asap, because the benefits generally will NOT go retro back to 1/2016 if you can't prove you applied.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!