TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

October 2015 I'm retired and got married in the Philippines.

Customer Question

October 2015 I'm retired and got married in the Philippines. How does my wife get a social security card? We currently live here in the Philippines till her children are done with college? I'm a US resident. We tried a ITN but took 8 months just for a reply! Thanks
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: not that I'm aware of? Just need SS card for taxes
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

Non-U.S. citizens and those who do not reside in the United States may be eligible for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for U.S. tax purposes. This category applies to Philippine citizen spouses resident in Philippines without Legal Permanent Residence in the United States.

The ITIN is filed with your tax return if you are wanting to file joint for US. Yes, it takes a longer period the first year but that is the procedure. The W7 is filed and the return attached.

If your spouse is immigrating to the United States, she will receive a Social Security number once in the United States as a Legal Permanent Resident. You cannot apply from within the Philippines and must apply in the United States.

Philippines American Embassy*****br />Ermita, Manila 0930
Philippines
Phone:(###) ###-####br />Fax:(###) ###-####or***-***-****
Email:*****@******.***

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i can't file electronically without an ITIN so do I file a hard copy with the iTIN blank and IRS puts the number in?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

Yes. The return is attached to the W7 application for an ITIN and when the ITIN is processed the IRS adds the ITIN to the return and processes.

They also issue a letter advising the ITIN to your spouse.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

Here is a link to the instructions for the W7

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response.