How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2963
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am now working for the Federal Government and have been

Customer Question

I am now working for the Federal Government and have been for the last 47 years. However, I may be retiring in 2017. I am now receiving a Social Security Check for 238.00 per month because I worked in private industry before I started working for the Government. I got all of my 40 quarters in before I started for the Government. If I retire this year, what will happened to my Social Security. Will I stopped receiving Social Security Checks. And if I do continue to receive SS Checks after I retired, what amount will my benefit be? My email address is***@******.*** Thank you! *****: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No, I just am interested in the answer what the above question will be. Thank you! *****
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Once you start receiving your government pension, your SSA retreiement benefit will be reduced by the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP). Here is a chart on how the WEP reduces your benefit:

The WEP goes into place if you have a pension based on earnings not covered by Social Security and it can affect the amount of your Social Security benefit. See link for more information:

If you worked in the private sector for 20 years or more, the WEP will not affect your SS benefit but if it is less than it probably will.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions or have I answered your question adequately?

Related Social Security Questions