Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

My wife passed away and the the funeral home notified you.

Customer Question

my wife passed away and the the funeral home notified you. do I need to contact you also
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: will you stop her payments and when ? she passed away 12-8-2016
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: not that I'm aware of. I'm just making sure all my ducks are in a Rowe
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 20 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will get you an answer drafted.

You do not have to contact SSA yourself if the funeral home notified SSA already (this is common). Do understand that you are eligible for a one-time payment of $255 as the surviving spouse from SSA so I would contact SSA anyway to make sure that this payment will be made. SSA will stop their payments but sometimes this process is not immediate and SSA will make a payment after your spouse's death. You must return any payments made for the month of death or later. You can contact your bank and ask them to return any deposits received for the month your spouse died or later. See SSA link for more information: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10008.pdf

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 19 days ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions or have I answered your question adequately?