Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Our son passed away on Dec 15th at the age of 61, will we

Customer Question

Our son passed away on Dec 15th at the age of 61, will we get a lump
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: sum payment to assist with his funeral expenses?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Our son did not get social security because of his age. His soc. sec. number is###-##-#### and any help will be appreciated.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Generally, a $255 death benefit is available to a spouse of the deceased or minor child, but not to others.

See here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou7.html

As you can see, even for those eligible to receive this benefit, it is so small it would not really effect a funeral bill, unfortunately. You may want to look into your son's files to see if he purchased a funeral policy of his own - which could then pay for his funeral.

I wish you strength and peace. You have my most sincere condolences.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Joy

I hope this helps. My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!