How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37059
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was disabled in Nov. 1997. He is Paralized in a

Customer Question

My son was disabled in Nov. 1997. He is Paralized in a wheelchair. . i am divorced from his father since 1992. His father lives in Texas. In 2015 his dad filed for retirement beneifits and SSD contacted me regarding Matthew and said he was entitled to benefits. A few months later he began to collect SSD. In the following months we have received benefit only to have to pay them back because his dad earned to much. How does this work? What is the sense of receiving these benefits if we only have to give them back weeks later?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Yes, the original call from the texas office of Social Security said Matthew should have been receiving benefits since 1997. I have documents where Matthew was denied benefits when I applied first in 1992 when the original brain tumor occurred.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your ex obviously applied for his retirement benefits before he reached his full retirement age of 66. What that means is that if he earned more than $15,720 in 2015 or 2016 (For 2017 that limit is $16,920), then for every 2 dollars he earned above that amount he was obligated to pay back social security $1. This is the same for anyone who is collecting a benefit based on your ex's work history.

This will continue to be a possible issue until your ex reached age 66. After age 66 there is no penalty and your son will receive the full amount of his benefit, withou8t any risk of social security asking for a repayment of some of the benefit paid.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in the New Year,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.


It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,