Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

How can I find out what my expected SS benefits will be at

Customer Question

How can I find out what my expected SS benefits will be at my retirement age?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am 60 years old, widowed, receiving $32,000 annual income. I am trying to figure out what amount I will need, financially, to retire and at what age.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I have a approximately $59,000 in annuities.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 20 days ago.

Hi My name's .

...

Yes, there are several calculators here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/benefitcalculators.html

...

The best way to start planning for your future is by creating a my Social Security account online. With my Social Security, you can verify your earnings, get your Social Security Statement, and much more – all from the comfort of your home or office.

...

Also, Social Security sends out projections. See this from Social Security"

...

"In September 2014, we began mailing Social Security Statements (Statements) to workers attaining ages 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, and 60 and over, who aren’t receiving Social Security benefits and do not yet have a my Social Security account. We mail the Statements three months prior to your birthday."

Expert:  Lane replied 20 days ago.

Is the 32000 a Social Security Survivor Benefit? If not, at age 60, you CAN begin to receive a survivors benefit on your husband's work record.

...

(This would allow your own benefit to increase)

Expert:  Lane replied 20 days ago.

If you'd like I can do some projections for you

Expert:  Lane replied 20 days ago.

OK, still don't see you coming back... Please let me know how else I can help

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I just wanted to know what my projected benefit would be at age 65. Also, am I eligible, based on my earnings, to draw from my husband's social security?
Expert:  Lane replied 20 days ago.

We experts at JustAnswer.com don't have access to your personal, private Social Security information.

...

I'm so sorry.

...

And as to your second question, there are two types of benefits to which one can be eligible, and these are based on the SPOUSE's work record.

...

(1) A spousal benefit of 50% (reduced by as much as 25% for taking as early as 62)

...

(2) A survivor benefit when the other spouse passes (reduced to as low as 71.5% at your age 60 gorwing to 100% of the deceased spouse's benefit at your full retirement age of 66

...

Then on your OWN work record, you have your own RETIREMENT benefit.

...

And again, so sorry but the only way to get your projected retirement benefit is (1) to call Social Security, (2)go into the local office, (3) create and log in to your MySocialSecurity account, or (4) use of the calculators I linked for you, above.

Expert:  Lane replied 17 days ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

...

By the way, if you can pull your earnings record I can run the numbers for you

...

Lane

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I did provide you with my earnings. I think you're stringing me along to get me to purchase whatever other products you have. I will go directly to my local social security office. I thought using this service would be faster, it is not! Please DO NOT CONTACT ME and remove me from your mailing/calling list.
Expert:  Lane replied 16 days ago.

You don't understand. I am a user here at JustAnswer.com just as you are (although with my credentials verfified and tested out in my subject areas of expertise).

...

If you'll read through the terms of service, you'll see that experts don't work for JustAnswer.

...

Further, I only receive a PORTION of what you pay them... and ONLY if you rate me positively (using those stars on your screen,, and clicking "submit.")

...

So if you don't rate me positively, JustAnswer keeps al of whatever you've paid them and I receive nothing for my work. Rating me does NOT cost anything else..It zjust releases a portion of whatever you've paid them to me for my time and expertise here.

...

Finally, I'd be glad to paste everything from our conversationg above ... but you should be able to scroll up and see it for youself. you havre NOT provided me your earms history (how much mnoiney you made for every year oyu werked (which is the ONLY way I can project your social security benefits).

Expert:  Lane replied 16 days ago.

So, again, I cannot do a projection wthought numbers... and I'm trying to do that as s show of good faith, becasue I'm only rated once (If you WILL rate) and every time I come back to this same question, it lowers my crediting per time/effort.

...

To recap my answer, you either need (1) to call social security, (2) use on of those social security online calculators I linked for you, (3) go ingot the Social Security office, or provide me with your earnings history and date of birth so I can run a projection for you.

...

(If you want to just provide your last three years of earnings I can make an approsimation, but it won't be exact.